From: maury on
On Jun 29, 5:25 am, HardySpicer <gyansor...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > >http://www.compdsp.com/presentations/Lyons/Lyons-Precise%20FIR%20Coef....

> > > Yep. Looks like another example of relearning a forgotten art of doing
> > > things efficiently. :-)
>
> > > Steve
>
> > Indeed. Think of it as a hard-coded floating-point operation.
>
> > -Momo
>
> Two adaptive filters in tandem one. Some nice analysis there. You need
> to get all the papers in the same format if you have a conference.
>
> Hardy- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Hardy, I agree about the format.

Maurice
From: Tim Wescott on
On 06/28/2010 03:14 PM, Manny wrote:
> On Jun 28, 8:16 pm, Vladimir Vassilevsky<nos...(a)nowhere.com> wrote:
>> The presentation of Rick Lyons "Improving FIR Filter
>> Coefficient Precision" was added:
>>
>> http://www.compdsp.com/presentations/Lyons/Lyons-Precise%20FIR%20Coef...
>>
>> COMP.DSP 2010 presentations:
>>
>> http://www.compdsp.com/presentations.htm
>>
>> //-----------------
>>
>> Vladimir Vassilevsky
>> DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultanthttp://www.abvolt.com
>
> Not to take away anything from the author, but as far as I can tell,
> people have been doing this for ages. In fact, the serial method could
> easily implement a parallel method with a device known in the digital
> world as "barrel shifter." In such a case, you'd store an unsigned
> value with the coefficient akin to an "instruction" in ISA to tell you
> how much you should barrel-shift per loop iteration.

But then, it was more of a professional conference rather than a
scientific one. At such a conference papers that present good old
methods, particularly if they are packaged nicely, are a welcome
addition to the schedule.

In fact, in all the years that I've been attending the Embedded System's
Conference, I don't think I've seen a single paper that really presented
absolutely new-to-man anything. The closest you get to the cutting edge
there is a presentation on some ten year old academic thing that has
been adopted by some group of engineers and has been shown to offer
solid benefits in return for the pain of adopting it (i.e. it's been
shown that it's the real deal and not academic fluff).

Certainly when I present at ESC what I'm presenting -- writing PID
software, tuning, and a smattering of z-transform analysis -- is far
older than I am, yet new to many of the people I talk to.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

From: steveu on
>On 06/28/2010 03:14 PM, Manny wrote:
>> On Jun 28, 8:16 pm, Vladimir Vassilevsky<nos...(a)nowhere.com> wrote:
>>> The presentation of Rick Lyons "Improving FIR Filter
>>> Coefficient Precision" was added:

http://www.compdsp.com/presentations/Lyons/Lyons-Precise%20FIR%20Coef...

>>> COMP.DSP 2010 presentations:
>>>
>>> http://www.compdsp.com/presentations.htm
>>>
>>> //-----------------
>>>
>>> Vladimir Vassilevsky
>>> DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultanthttp://www.abvolt.com
>>
>> Not to take away anything from the author, but as far as I can tell,
>> people have been doing this for ages. In fact, the serial method could
>> easily implement a parallel method with a device known in the digital
>> world as "barrel shifter." In such a case, you'd store an unsigned
>> value with the coefficient akin to an "instruction" in ISA to tell you
>> how much you should barrel-shift per loop iteration.
>
>But then, it was more of a professional conference rather than a
>scientific one. At such a conference papers that present good old
>methods, particularly if they are packaged nicely, are a welcome
>addition to the schedule.
>
>In fact, in all the years that I've been attending the Embedded System's
>Conference, I don't think I've seen a single paper that really presented
>absolutely new-to-man anything. The closest you get to the cutting edge
>there is a presentation on some ten year old academic thing that has
>been adopted by some group of engineers and has been shown to offer
>solid benefits in return for the pain of adopting it (i.e. it's been
>shown that it's the real deal and not academic fluff).
>
>Certainly when I present at ESC what I'm presenting -- writing PID
>software, tuning, and a smattering of z-transform analysis -- is far
>older than I am, yet new to many of the people I talk to.

I think the point it the presentation material attributes the idea to
someone who looks like they were probably not born when the early bit
serial filter chips were using this technique in the late 70s.

Steve
From: Manny on
On Jun 29, 6:33 pm, "steveu" <steveu(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.coppice.org> wrote:

> http://www.compdsp.com/presentations/Lyons/Lyons-Precise%20FIR%20Coef...

> >> Not to take away anything from the author, but as far as I can tell,
> >> people have been doing this for ages. In fact, the serial method could
> >> easily implement a parallel method with a device known in the digital
> >> world as "barrel shifter." In such a case, you'd store an unsigned
> >> value with the coefficient akin to an "instruction" in ISA to tell you
> >> how much you should barrel-shift per loop iteration.
>
> >But then, it was more of a professional conference rather than a
> >scientific one.  At such a conference papers that present good old
> >methods, particularly if they are packaged nicely, are a welcome
> >addition to the schedule.
>
> >In fact, in all the years that I've been attending the Embedded System's
> >Conference, I don't think I've seen a single paper that really presented
> >absolutely new-to-man anything.  The closest you get to the cutting edge
> >there is a presentation on some ten year old academic thing that has
> >been adopted by some group of engineers and has been shown to offer
> >solid benefits in return for the pain of adopting it (i.e. it's been
> >shown that it's the real deal and not academic fluff).
>
> >Certainly when I present at ESC what I'm presenting -- writing PID
> >software, tuning, and a smattering of z-transform analysis -- is far
> >older than I am, yet new to many of the people I talk to.
>
> I think the point it the presentation material attributes the idea to
> someone who looks like they were probably not born when the early bit
> serial filter chips were using this technique in the late 70s.
>
> Steve

Yeah, try to go to a VLSI venue with that! Maybe a VLSI Vlad would
call you names :). But then again, there might be some merit to this
for the one-faceted DSP community as Tim pointed out.

-Momo
From: Manny on
On Jun 29, 4:45 pm, Tim Wescott <t...(a)seemywebsite.com> wrote:
> On 06/28/2010 03:14 PM, Manny wrote:
>

> > On Jun 28, 8:16 pm, Vladimir Vassilevsky<nos...(a)nowhere.com>  wrote:
> >>    The presentation of Rick Lyons "Improving FIR Filter
> >> Coefficient Precision" was added:
>
> >>http://www.compdsp.com/presentations/Lyons/Lyons-Precise%20FIR%20Coef....
>
> >> COMP.DSP 2010 presentations:
>
> >>http://www.compdsp.com/presentations.htm
>
> >> //-----------------
>
> >> Vladimir Vassilevsky
> >> DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultanthttp://www.abvolt.com
>
> > Not to take away anything from the author, but as far as I can tell,
> > people have been doing this for ages. In fact, the serial method could
> > easily implement a parallel method with a device known in the digital
> > world as "barrel shifter." In such a case, you'd store an unsigned
> > value with the coefficient akin to an "instruction" in ISA to tell you
> > how much you should barrel-shift per loop iteration.
>
> But then, it was more of a professional conference rather than a
> scientific one.  At such a conference papers that present good old
> methods, particularly if they are packaged nicely, are a welcome
> addition to the schedule.
>
> In fact, in all the years that I've been attending the Embedded System's
> Conference, I don't think I've seen a single paper that really presented
> absolutely new-to-man anything.  The closest you get to the cutting edge
> there is a presentation on some ten year old academic thing that has
> been adopted by some group of engineers and has been shown to offer
> solid benefits in return for the pain of adopting it (i.e. it's been
> shown that it's the real deal and not academic fluff).
>
> Certainly when I present at ESC what I'm presenting -- writing PID
> software, tuning, and a smattering of z-transform analysis -- is far
> older than I am, yet new to many of the people I talk to.

Yes you can do that provided that you keep the language down. Sure
this - which features in the final IEEE manuscript - does not come
across as authoritative science:

"At first thought, such a process does not seem possible, but this
article shows exactly how this novel filtering process works."

-Momo