From: Rick Lyons on
On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 09:39:34 -0700 (PDT), Manny <mloulah(a)hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On Jun 29, 4:45�pm, Tim Wescott <t...(a)seemywebsite.com> wrote:

>> > Not to take away anything from the author, but as far as I can tell,
>> > people have been doing this for ages. In fact, the serial method could
>> > easily implement a parallel method with a device known in the digital
>> > world as "barrel shifter." In such a case, you'd store an unsigned
>> > value with the coefficient akin to an "instruction" in ISA to tell you
>> > how much you should barrel-shift per loop iteration.
>>
>> But then, it was more of a professional conference rather than a
>> scientific one. �At such a conference papers that present good old
>> methods, particularly if they are packaged nicely, are a welcome
>> addition to the schedule.
>>
>> In fact, in all the years that I've been attending the Embedded System's
>> Conference, I don't think I've seen a single paper that really presented
>> absolutely new-to-man anything. �The closest you get to the cutting edge
>> there is a presentation on some ten year old academic thing that has
>> been adopted by some group of engineers and has been shown to offer
>> solid benefits in return for the pain of adopting it (i.e. it's been
>> shown that it's the real deal and not academic fluff).
>>
>> Certainly when I present at ESC what I'm presenting -- writing PID
>> software, tuning, and a smattering of z-transform analysis -- is far
>> older than I am, yet new to many of the people I talk to.
>
>Yes you can do that provided that you keep the language down. Sure
>this - which features in the final IEEE manuscript - does not come
>across as authoritative science:
>
>"At first thought, such a process does not seem possible, but this
>article shows exactly how this novel filtering process works."
>
>-Momo

Hello Momo,
As far as I know, the IEEE article's author Zhi Shen developed
this FIR filtering trick on his own while he was a college student.
In my opinion, he should be proud of what he accomplished.

I regret that you weren't happy with the article.
We'll try to do better next time.

[-Rick-]

From: Rick Lyons on
On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 03:25:16 -0700 (PDT), HardySpicer
<gyansorova(a)gmail.com> wrote:

[Snipped by Lyons]

>Two adaptive filters in tandem one. Some nice analysis there. You need
>to get all the papers in the same format if you have a conference.
>

>Hardy

Hi Hardy,
"Getting all the paers in the same format" is not
as easy as it sounds.

[-Rick-]
From: maury on
On Jul 1, 6:30 am, Rick Lyons <R.Lyons@_BOGUS_ieee.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 03:25:16 -0700 (PDT), HardySpicer
>
> <gyansor...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>    [Snipped by Lyons]
>

> >Two adaptive filters in tandem one. Some nice analysis there. You need
> >to get all the papers in the same format if you have a conference.
>
> >Hardy
>
> Hi Hardy,
>    "Getting all the paers in the same format" is not
> as easy as it sounds.
>
> [-Rick-]

Hi Rick,
It would mean the presenters would be required to make 2 versions of
their paper; 1 for publication, and 1 for presenting. We could make a
template (say in MS Word) for the paper, and the author could have any
format they wanted for the presentation itself. Then we could publish
(place on the web site) the papers in a standard format. This would
put the extra work on the authors rather than the organizers.

In addition, a lot of times the presentation (power point) doesn't
have all the information on the slide needed to stand alone. Having
the authors include a paper would solve this problem.

Maurice
From: Manny on
On Jul 1, 12:27 pm, Rick Lyons <R.Lyons@_BOGUS_ieee.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 09:39:34 -0700 (PDT), Manny <mlou...(a)hotmail.com>
> wrote:

> >> But then, it was more of a professional conference rather than a
> >> scientific one. At such a conference papers that present good old
> >> methods, particularly if they are packaged nicely, are a welcome
> >> addition to the schedule.
>
> >> In fact, in all the years that I've been attending the Embedded System's
> >> Conference, I don't think I've seen a single paper that really presented
> >> absolutely new-to-man anything. The closest you get to the cutting edge
> >> there is a presentation on some ten year old academic thing that has
> >> been adopted by some group of engineers and has been shown to offer
> >> solid benefits in return for the pain of adopting it (i.e. it's been
> >> shown that it's the real deal and not academic fluff).
>
> >> Certainly when I present at ESC what I'm presenting -- writing PID
> >> software, tuning, and a smattering of z-transform analysis -- is far
> >> older than I am, yet new to many of the people I talk to.
>
> >Yes you can do that provided that you keep the language down. Sure
> >this - which features in the final IEEE manuscript - does not come
> >across as authoritative science:
>
> >"At first thought, such a process does not seem possible, but this
> >article shows exactly how this novel filtering process works."
>
> >-Momo
>
> Hello Momo,
>   As far as I know, the IEEE article's author Zhi Shen developed
> this FIR filtering trick on his own while he was a college student.
> In my opinion, he should be proud of what he accomplished.
>
> I regret that you weren't happy with the article.
> We'll try to do better next time.
>
> [-Rick-]

According to Hegelianism, there is a directionality to history and the
"world's spirit" is constantly escalating in time towards higher
consciousness. That makes it only consequential to future kids to
dream up sinusoidal decomposition on their own, in isolation, and
overnight. While it's perfectly legitimate for them to feel proud for
thinking in the right direction, this does not mean that we let poor
Fourier be condemned to historical oblivion :).

I only mean for this to be a light-hearted closure for what may be
perceived as drama on my part. End of the day, I shouldn't push my
luck too much with the experts in the field.

-Momo
From: Rick Lyons on
On Thu, 1 Jul 2010 07:32:50 -0700 (PDT), maury <maury001(a)core.com>
wrote:

>On Jul 1, 6:30�am, Rick Lyons <R.Lyons@_BOGUS_ieee.org> wrote:
>> On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 03:25:16 -0700 (PDT), HardySpicer
>>
>> <gyansor...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> � �[Snipped by Lyons]
>>

>> >Two adaptive filters in tandem one. Some nice analysis there. You need
>> >to get all the papers in the same format if you have a conference.
>>
>> >Hardy
>>
>> Hi Hardy,
>> � �"Getting all the paers in the same format" is not
>> as easy as it sounds.
>>
>> [-Rick-]
>
>Hi Rick,
>It would mean the presenters would be required to make 2 versions of
>their paper; 1 for publication, and 1 for presenting. We could make a
>template (say in MS Word) for the paper, and the author could have any
>format they wanted for the presentation itself. Then we could publish
>(place on the web site) the papers in a standard format. This would
>put the extra work on the authors rather than the organizers.
>
>In addition, a lot of times the presentation (power point) doesn't
>have all the information on the slide needed to stand alone. Having
>the authors include a paper would solve this problem.
>
>Maurice

Hi Maurice,
I like your ideas.

[-Rick-]