From: Rick Lyons on
On Thu, 1 Jul 2010 17:44:36 -0700 (PDT), Manny <mloulah(a)hotmail.com>
wrote:

[Snipped by Lyons]

>According to Hegelianism, there is a directionality to history and the
>"world's spirit" is constantly escalating in time towards higher
>consciousness. That makes it only consequential to future kids to
>dream up sinusoidal decomposition on their own, in isolation, and
>overnight. While it's perfectly legitimate for them to feel proud for
>thinking in the right direction, this does not mean that we let poor
>Fourier be condemned to historical oblivion :).
>
>I only mean for this to be a light-hearted closure for what may be
>perceived as drama on my part. End of the day, I shouldn't push my
>luck too much with the experts in the field.
>
>-Momo

Hi Momo,
Your comments invite meditation.

[-Rick-]
From: Fred Marshall on
Rick Lyons wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Jul 2010 07:32:50 -0700 (PDT), maury <maury001(a)core.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Jul 1, 6:30 am, Rick Lyons <R.Lyons@_BOGUS_ieee.org> wrote:
>>> On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 03:25:16 -0700 (PDT), HardySpicer
>>>
>>> <gyansor...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> [Snipped by Lyons]

>>> Hi Hardy,
>>> "Getting all the paers in the same format" is not
>>> as easy as it sounds.
>>>
>>> [-Rick-]
>> Hi Rick,
>> It would mean the presenters would be required to make 2 versions of
>> their paper; 1 for publication, and 1 for presenting. We could make a
>> template (say in MS Word) for the paper, and the author could have any
>> format they wanted for the presentation itself. Then we could publish
>> (place on the web site) the papers in a standard format. This would
>> put the extra work on the authors rather than the organizers.
>>
>> In addition, a lot of times the presentation (power point) doesn't
>> have all the information on the slide needed to stand alone. Having
>> the authors include a paper would solve this problem.
>>
>> Maurice
>
> Hi Maurice,
> I like your ideas.
>
> [-Rick-]

Another thing that's been done in situations like this is for there to
be "script" pages interspersed with the "slides" - so that they could be
viewed side-by-side. That works pretty well too.

Fred
From: Steve Pope on
Fred Marshall <fmarshallx(a)remove_the_xacm.org> wrote:

>Rick Lyons wrote:

>> On Thu, 1 Jul 2010 07:32:50 -0700 (PDT), maury <maury001(a)core.com>

>>> In addition, a lot of times the presentation (power point) doesn't
>>> have all the information on the slide needed to stand alone. Having
>>> the authors include a paper would solve this problem.

>> I like your ideas.

>Another thing that's been done in situations like this is for there to
>be "script" pages interspersed with the "slides" - so that they could be
>viewed side-by-side. That works pretty well too.

I like the practice of having the "backup" slides at the end
of the slide set. They can also be in a very small font.

Steve