From: rickman on
On Nov 6, 12:01 am, Antti <antti.luk...(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 6, 3:16 am, rickman <gnu...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Nov 5, 6:18 am, Antti <antti.luk...(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > > both free samples and 49$ starterkit available, my should be airborn
> > > right now somewhere between Paris and my place.
>
> > > The CPLD is small, 190MC, but it still much more then the 16MC
> > > availabel in ADI's ADuCs or ST's uPSD devices.
>
> > > PSoC 5, Cortex based devices will probably only be available next year
>
> > > Antti
>
> > You didn't say what product this is.  I assume it is the 8051 version
> > of the new PSOC?  Do they call that the PSOC 3?
>
> > I don't know what is going on with Cypress.  They have been saying the
> > PSOC whatever will be out "next year" since 2006.  Fool me once, shame
> > on you, fool me twice, shame on me!  I guess they may finally be
> > shipping PSOC 3.  I can't find a while paper on the PSOC 3/5
> > anywhere.  Is that because they don't have one or because it is hidden
> > behind all the video and flash stuff on their site?  I guess it is
> > also too much to ask for a selection guide rather than having to read
> > through all the data sheets just to find out what combinations of
> > features they are offering.  Bah!
>
> > I see one version of the PSOC 5 has the high resolution ADC while
> > *all* of the PSOC 3 with the 8051 CPU have the high resolution ADC.  I
> > don't see where any of them have two channels or comparable DACs.
>
> > I'm actually guessing you aren't talking about the PSOC 3.  You
> > describe a 190 cell CPLD, but the PSOC digital blocks are not
> > generically programmable.  They have predefined function blocks and I
> > don't believe they offer detailed info on rolling your own function
> > blocks.  I guess this has changed from the PSOC 1 tools.  But it
> > appears you have to use their graphical tool rather than an HDL.
>
> > Jeeze!  They can't even make a table of contents that works.  It
> > points to some file called "001-55036-1.pdf".  I guess that's why it's
> > preliminary...
>
> > Rick
>
> Rick, I agree on many accounts, something is badly wrong with Cypress,
> ok some explanations: I was talking PSoC 3, yes, and it
> HAS VERILOG programmable general purpose CPLD module!
> I have tested the software and it uses cypress warp compiler
> the missing "selection" guide is really PITA, I was trying to compare
> the PSoC 1 versions, and just did give up!
>
> Ok, from my point, Cypress could drop ALL their products and just
> keep PSoC 3 :)
>
> See actually initially it was like that, PSoC was done by separate
> company (owned by cypress), for some reason that was changed
> later and PSoC was taken back to mother company
>
> Antti

I thought they had a selection guide for the PSOC 1 series. I used to
have one. In general I have found Cypress to be very marketing driven
with engineering being the whipping boy. The PSOC 3/5 thing started
when an eval board for one of the old PSOCs was shown to the CEO and
he saw a non-cypress part on it. Being told it was there because
Cypress didn't do such a good job at analog, he said to make the new
chips with "no excuses". Maybe they have done that, but as you say,
at a price. The original PSOC series were cheap, but very, very
limited. They really only shined when you could use the same function
blocks for multiple purposes and that really doesn't happen very
often. Software lets you time multiplex the CPU, but the peripherals
are much harder to multiplex that way.

Rick
From: Antti on
On Nov 6, 6:35 pm, rickman <gnu...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 6, 4:47 am, -jg <jim.granvi...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Nov 6, 6:01 pm, Antti <antti.luk...(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > > ok some explanations: I was talking PSoC 3, yes, and it
> > > HAS VERILOG programmable general purpose CPLD module!
> > > I have tested the software and it uses cypress warp compiler
> > > the missing "selection" guide is really PITA, I was trying to compare
> > > the PSoC 1 versions, and just did give up!
>
> > The PSoC3 has some nice looking features, and I see it has an errata,
> > so real silicon is edging closer....
>
> > > Ok, from my point, Cypress could drop ALL their products and just
> > > keep PSoC 3 :)
>
> > Not at the prices they are indicating at the moment!
> > You have to really need a good portion of all the resource,
> > to be able to justify the costs.
>
> > That's always been the achilles heel  of such 'System on Chip' pitches
>
> Where did you find prices?
>
> Rick

pricing is when you look the order pages, from 12 to 16$ qty 1,
cypress online shop
but only 3 devices are shipping, so most of the devices do not have
price visible

Antti

From: rickman on
On Nov 6, 12:10 pm, Antti <antti.luk...(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 6, 6:35 pm, rickman <gnu...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > > The PSoC3 has some nice looking features, and I see it has an errata,
> > > so real silicon is edging closer....

> > > Not at the prices they are indicating at the moment!
> > > You have to really need a good portion of all the resource,
> > > to be able to justify the costs.
>
> > > That's always been the achilles heel  of such 'System on Chip' pitches
>
> > Where did you find prices?
>
> > Rick
>
> pricing is when you look the order pages, from 12 to 16$ qty 1,
> cypress online shop
> but only 3 devices are shipping, so most of the devices do not have
> price visible

When I searched I didn't find anything starting with CY8C3. Maybe you
need a full part number. Regardless, I don't care so much about the
8051. I am interested in the ARM Cortex M3 version if they have dual
(stereo) ADC and DAC. If I have to add a CODEC to the chip to use it
what's the point?

Rick
From: -jg on
On Nov 7, 6:10 am, Antti <antti.luk...(a)googlemail.com> wrote:

> pricing is when you look the order pages, from 12 to 16$ qty 1,
> cypress online shop
> but only 3 devices are shipping, so most of the devices do not have
> price visible

Correct, and when you ratio their other sample prices, to their medium
volume prices, you get an indication of $6-8+ - a price that is
getting up there...
-jg
From: Antti on
On Nov 7, 12:39 am, -jg <jim.granvi...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 7, 6:10 am, Antti <antti.luk...(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
>

> > pricing is when you look the order pages, from 12 to 16$ qty 1,
> > cypress online shop
> > but only 3 devices are shipping, so most of the devices do not have
> > price visible
>
> Correct, and when you ratio their other sample prices, to their medium
> volume prices, you get an indication of $6-8+ - a price that is
> getting up there...
> -jg

got the starterkit, and free samples too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQwUWk7dTp4

and, I was so dumb that I could not get the starterkit to get started
without reading the manual!
I pushed all buttons (1 out of 1 total) changed all jumpers (2 out of
2) but nothing, until i looked at the manual
well its more clear in the video review

Antti
and no, I have not yet downloaded any own compiled verilog into the
part, but i hope i check it soon enouugh

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Cyclone IV announced
Next: Does anyone ever use placement?