From: Antti on
Hi

Altera is promising 25% more fabric speed than S6 with their new
Cyclone IV

Antti
From: Nial Stewart on
"Antti" <antti.lukats(a)googlemail.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> Altera is promising 25% more fabric speed than S6 with their new
> Cyclone IV
> Antti

Aye, but the first devices aren't available until next March.

That's almost _6_ months away.

:-(

Nial.

From: austin on
All,

I was puzzled that they used a push of the 65nm technology node (to
60nm).

It is a huge investment for a FPGA device company to launch a new
family, and to launch one with "the old" technology node means that
the latest technology node is guaranteed to beat you on price, power,
and/or performance (since 90nm, we do not get to choose all three, we
are at best a two out of three for a new node).

True, S6 is optimized for power (first time we have ever used a low
power process from a foundry), so bragging about performance is one
way to shout very loudly "we sure burn a lot more power!"

When we asked customers what their number one need was for S6, it was
"lower the power!"

I know that many like to use the latest Spartan node to replace the
previous Virtex node (lower their bill of materials costs), but
frankly, S6 was designed for a new markets, and not intended to
cannibalize Virtex 5 sockets.

Anyway, it is always fun to watch how these things play out,

Austin
From: Torfinn Ingolfsen on
Antti wrote:
> Hi
>
> Altera is promising 25% more fabric speed than S6 with their new
> Cyclone IV

And us hobbyist types are wondering: will Altera give us a _free_
development environment for Linux this time?
(just in case anyone from Altera drops in here occasionally).
--
Torfinn Ingolfsen,
Norway
From: Nico Coesel on
austin <austin(a)xilinx.com> wrote:

>All,
>
>I was puzzled that they used a push of the 65nm technology node (to
>60nm).
>
>It is a huge investment for a FPGA device company to launch a new
>family, and to launch one with "the old" technology node means that
>the latest technology node is guaranteed to beat you on price, power,
>and/or performance (since 90nm, we do not get to choose all three, we
>are at best a two out of three for a new node).
>
>True, S6 is optimized for power (first time we have ever used a low
>power process from a foundry), so bragging about performance is one
>way to shout very loudly "we sure burn a lot more power!"
>
>When we asked customers what their number one need was for S6, it was
>"lower the power!"
>
>I know that many like to use the latest Spartan node to replace the
>previous Virtex node (lower their bill of materials costs), but
>frankly, S6 was designed for a new markets, and not intended to
>cannibalize Virtex 5 sockets.

That raises the question: Can we expect to see a new Spartan series
with more speed?

"If it doesn't fit, use a bigger hammer!"