From: Uwe Bonnes on
David Brown <david(a)westcontrol.removethisbit.com> wrote:
> Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
> > Antti wrote:
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> Altera is promising 25% more fabric speed than S6 with their new
> >> Cyclone IV
> >
> > And us hobbyist types are wondering: will Altera give us a _free_
> > development environment for Linux this time?
> > (just in case anyone from Altera drops in here occasionally).

> There's a beta version available (I haven't tried it - I just noticed it
> on their web site when wandering about).

Any link (if you talk about a Linux version of Quartus II Web Edition Software)

A search for linux "web edition" on the Altera site brings some hits, but I
didn't see something downloadable...

Thanks
--
Uwe Bonnes bon(a)elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de

Institut fuer Kernphysik Schlossgartenstrasse 9 64289 Darmstadt
From: austin on
Jon,

Yes, TSMC is having some yield issues (at 45/40nm). But, yield issues
comes "with the territory." It isn't the first time, and it won't be
the last time. In IC Design, the choice of technology was made three
years ago, so yield was not a factor in the choice for C4.

Ranting about a yield issue is not good for business, as you never
know who might be next, and it isn't anyone at Altera's fault that
TSMC has those issues (for the moment).

Oh, I like that: C4! Like the powerful explosive... the FPGA
guaranteed to make a bang!

I digress. Back to idle speculation.

I believe that Altera was faced with our release of S6, both with and
without transceivers, and realized they needed something in order to
compete. It did not take a rocket scientist to see where the low cost
FPGA families would have transceivers in the future three years ago.

Austin

From: David Brown on
Uwe Bonnes wrote:
> David Brown <david(a)westcontrol.removethisbit.com> wrote:
>> Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:

>>> And us hobbyist types are wondering: will Altera give us a _free_
>>> development environment for Linux this time?
>>> (just in case anyone from Altera drops in here occasionally).
>
>> There's a beta version available (I haven't tried it - I just noticed it
>> on their web site when wandering about).
>
> Any link (if you talk about a Linux version of Quartus II Web Edition Software)
>
> A search for linux "web edition" on the Altera site brings some hits, but I
> didn't see something downloadable...
>
> Thanks

Follow the links for downloading the web edition of quartus:

<https://www.altera.com/support/software/download/altera_design/quartus_we/dnl-quartus_we.jsp>

I'm not working on FPGA development at the moment, but I like to keep
track of what's new. If you try out the software, it would be nice to
hear in this newsgroup how it goes.

mvh.,

David
From: Torfinn Ingolfsen on
David Brown wrote:
> Follow the links for downloading the web edition of quartus:
>
> <https://www.altera.com/support/software/download/altera_design/quartus_we/dnl-quartus_we.jsp>

Ah! Thanks!

Downloading as I write this.
I run Ubuntu (which is not on the supported os list), but I'll try
anyway and report how it goes.

> I'm not working on FPGA development at the moment, but I like to keep
> track of what's new. If you try out the software, it would be nice to
> hear in this newsgroup how it goes.

If it works in Ubuntu at all, I'll try it out to see how it works.
--
Torfinn Ingolfsen,
Norway
From: Antti on
On Nov 5, 6:06 pm, austin <aus...(a)xilinx.com> wrote:
> Jon,
>
> Yes, TSMC is having some yield issues (at 45/40nm).  But, yield issues
> comes "with the territory."  It isn't the first time, and it won't be
> the last time.  In IC Design, the choice of technology was made three
> years ago, so yield was not a factor in the choice for C4.
>
> Ranting about a yield issue is not good for business, as you never
> know who might be next, and it isn't anyone at Altera's fault that
> TSMC has those issues (for the moment).
>
> Oh, I like that:  C4! Like the powerful explosive...  the FPGA
> guaranteed to make a bang!
>
> I digress.  Back to idle speculation.
>
> I believe that Altera was faced with our release of S6, both with and
> without transceivers, and realized they needed something in order to
> compete.  It did not take a rocket scientist to see where the low cost
> FPGA families would have transceivers in the future three years ago.
>
> Austin

I was wondering who brings out the "explosiveness" of the new
cyclones :)

well, for the moment Spartan-6 looks better than C4 as there is better
choice of packages
as Altera is no longer offering 8x8 mm packages, Xilinx had no 8x8 in
S3A what was a mistake
but Xilinx has re-introduced 8x8 packages in S6 again

sure, what is fun is the QFN148 packaged for Serdes enabled Cyclone, I
would love to see
S6 QFN68 with serdes :)

Antti