From: Frank Buss on
jacko wrote:

> AHDL for a two register NOP, INC, DEC, WRITE unit
>
> http://indi.joox.net link to quartus II files, BIREGU.bdf
>
> good for interruptable stack pointers

This looks like a net list or something like this. I have only ISE WebPack
installed and I don't know how to display it. Do you have a picture of it?

--
Frank Buss, fb(a)frank-buss.de
From: Walter Banks on
Jim,

We have certainly thought about it. Byte Craft has done quite a bit of
instruction design work on embedded commercial processors. Internally
for every C compiler we create an instruction set simulator with a lot of
performance instrumentation.

I expect the next round of processors will move towards multiple processor
solutions to applications. Compilers and other HLL tools will be focused on
application work division.

w..

From: Jim Granville on
Walter Banks wrote:
> Jim,
>
> We have certainly thought about it. Byte Craft has done quite a bit of
> instruction design work on embedded commercial processors. Internally
> for every C compiler we create an instruction set simulator with a lot of
> performance instrumentation.
>
> I expect the next round of processors will move towards multiple processor
> solutions to applications. Compilers and other HLL tools will be focused on
> application work division.
>
> w..

Sounds promising. What about debug pathways ?

-jg

From: Walter Banks on
Jim,

The automotive processors use a separate communication link (most are on board packet switched virtual links) to each processor brought out through a interface on the chip. (Nexus) There are support standards for this.

The asian processors that we have created support for were lockstepped simulation and hardware to extract more information for the developers.

Most of the current processors that I am seeing are using asynchronous background BDM or JTAG brought out through a limited number of pins.

Watch this space later in the year for information on the consumer products multiprocessor debug support.

w..

From: jacko on

Frank Buss wrote:
> jacko wrote:
>

> > http://indi.joox.net link to quartus II files
>
> This looks like a net list or something like this. I have only ISE WebPack
> installed and I don't know how to display it. Do you have a picture of it?

i think ahdl custom to altera. there tool is web downloaded. could
notget the xilinx tool to download after 5 attempts.

website more specific.

the zip file is current project design files in quartus II version 6,
but still have to design instruction sequencing unit. thought of using
an 8 cycle simple instruction execution, for a very compact IP core.
also decided that modular forth in instancable blocks would be most
flexible.

it is going to evolve as a 16n design, as all carry can happen along
multiple instances to make any 16*n word size, but i have to decide how
the program word width may or may not expand to the word size.

i hope to get wishbone and avalon bus interfaces too, but this is not
my immediate priority.

i intend a serial bus standard to allow connected multicore designs,
each core having 128KB memory.

does anyone know how to export a quartus project as VHDL?

cheesr

jacko