From: Practical on
Hi all,

Confusion still prevails over how should I really proceed with CUPS to
install multiple printers. I sought help through and earlier post but
here's a brief description of the what I really want.

1] Mezzanine floor - HP P2015dn (Not yet installed but connected with
network cable)

2] Top floor - Canon LBP6300dn ( Currently installed on Windows XP)

3] Top floor - HP P2015 ( USB ) Installed on a Win Vista PC

4 Top floor - HP 1000 Installed on Windows XP

CUPS is already on a different PC ( Ubuntu LTS ) altogether and I wish
to get all the above listed printers to be operated, monitored via CUPS.

Is this possible? Despite trying my best, success has proven elusive so
far. The printer gets installed, but it doesn't print. Still struggling
much with Canon printer. Please assist.

Thank you all in advance.
From: J.O. Aho on
Practical wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Confusion still prevails over how should I really proceed with CUPS to
> install multiple printers. I sought help through and earlier post but
> here's a brief description of the what I really want.
>
> 1] Mezzanine floor - HP P2015dn (Not yet installed but connected with
> network cable)
>
> 2] Top floor - Canon LBP6300dn ( Currently installed on Windows XP)
>
> 3] Top floor - HP P2015 ( USB ) Installed on a Win Vista PC
>
> 4 Top floor - HP 1000 Installed on Windows XP
>
> CUPS is already on a different PC ( Ubuntu LTS ) altogether and I wish
> to get all the above listed printers to be operated, monitored via CUPS.

I'm no expert on CUPS and even less on evil OS, but you can always share the
printers via smb on the evil OS machines, CUPS do support using those smb
shared printers and there is no problem at all with network connected
printers. If you are using a somewhat recent version of CUPS, it will not be
much more than let CUPS find the printers and add those.

> Is this possible? Despite trying my best, success has proven elusive so
> far. The printer gets installed, but it doesn't print. Still struggling
> much with Canon printer. Please assist.

I would recommend you to connect the printers to a Linux machine, this way you
will get even more options on how to share the printer with the rest of the
machines.

--

//Aho
From: Practical on
On Wednesday 04 August 2010 09:20 PM, J.O. Aho wrote:
> Practical wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Confusion still prevails over how should I really proceed with CUPS to
>> install multiple printers. I sought help through and earlier post but
>> here's a brief description of the what I really want.
>>
>> 1] Mezzanine floor - HP P2015dn (Not yet installed but connected with
>> network cable)
>>
>> 2] Top floor - Canon LBP6300dn ( Currently installed on Windows XP)
>>
>> 3] Top floor - HP P2015 ( USB ) Installed on a Win Vista PC
>>
>> 4 Top floor - HP 1000 Installed on Windows XP
>>
>> CUPS is already on a different PC ( Ubuntu LTS ) altogether and I wish
>> to get all the above listed printers to be operated, monitored via CUPS.
>
> I'm no expert on CUPS and even less on evil OS, but you can always share the
> printers via smb on the evil OS machines, CUPS do support using those smb
> shared printers and there is no problem at all with network connected
> printers. If you are using a somewhat recent version of CUPS, it will not be
> much more than let CUPS find the printers and add those.
>
>> Is this possible? Despite trying my best, success has proven elusive so
>> far. The printer gets installed, but it doesn't print. Still struggling
>> much with Canon printer. Please assist.
>
> I would recommend you to connect the printers to a Linux machine, this way you
> will get even more options on how to share the printer with the rest of the
> machines.

Thank you for the response. Your suggestion to connect the printers to
Linux machines, although admirable, is well-nigh difficult to implement
due to lack of space. Hence, they are connected to PCs running Windows
and it is also not feasible to relocate the printers or add another
Linux PC near the printer. I will, however, try to implement the SMB
option. Wish me luck :-)

Regards....
From: Practical on

From: Practical on
On Wednesday 04 August 2010 09:20 PM, J.O. Aho wrote:
> Practical wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Confusion still prevails over how should I really proceed with CUPS to
>> install multiple printers. I sought help through and earlier post but
>> here's a brief description of the what I really want.
>>
>> 1] Mezzanine floor - HP P2015dn (Not yet installed but connected with
>> network cable)
>>
>> 2] Top floor - Canon LBP6300dn ( Currently installed on Windows XP)
>>
>> 3] Top floor - HP P2015 ( USB ) Installed on a Win Vista PC
>>
>> 4 Top floor - HP 1000 Installed on Windows XP
>>
>> CUPS is already on a different PC ( Ubuntu LTS ) altogether and I wish
>> to get all the above listed printers to be operated, monitored via CUPS.
>
> I'm no expert on CUPS and even less on evil OS, but you can always share the
> printers via smb on the evil OS machines, CUPS do support using those smb
> shared printers and there is no problem at all with network connected
> printers. If you are using a somewhat recent version of CUPS, it will not be
> much more than let CUPS find the printers and add those.
>
>> Is this possible? Despite trying my best, success has proven elusive so
>> far. The printer gets installed, but it doesn't print. Still struggling
>> much with Canon printer. Please assist.
>
> I would recommend you to connect the printers to a Linux machine, this way you
> will get even more options on how to share the printer with the rest of the
> machines.

Thank you for the response. Your suggestion to connect the printers to
Linux machines, although admirable, is well-nigh difficult to implement
due to lack of space. Hence, they are connected to PCs running Windows
and it is also not feasible to relocate the printers or add another
Linux PC near the printer. I will, however, try to implement the SMB
option. Wish me luck :-)

Regards....

Pages: 1
Prev: CD audio - ISO image