From: Antonio Macchi on
hi, I'm trying to create an ISO image of a Audio CDROM

using this command

$ cat < /dev/cdrom > cd.iso

don't work, nor

$ dd if=/dev/cdrom of=cd.iso

why?
How can I create this ISO image?
From: Eef Hartman on
Antonio Macchi <antonio_macchi(a)alice.it> wrote:
> hi, I'm trying to create an ISO image of a Audio CDROM

There is no such thing:
an "audio CD" (not CDROM) is a continuous audio track,
preceded by a "table of contents", no file organisation
at all. In fact without the TOC you cannot even separate
the tracks, it is a continuous stream (that's why you can have
tracks that "run into each other"), just like the old LP.
A CD-ROM, on the other hand, is a disk with a file structure,
mostly in iso-9660 form (others are joliet or uda).
That is: it has directories, file names etc.

Audio CD's you can only read with an audio ripper, like cdda2wav
(CD Digital Audio 2 WAV-files), while CD-roms are handled by the
iso9660 file system module of the kernel (cq the uda one).

> How can I create this ISO image?

Make a wav file out of it, either as "single stream" or track-separated.
Make a ISO image out of those files with makeisofs or growisofs (for
the size of an audio CD you don't really need the latter, it is more
for DVD's as an ISOfs normally has a 4 GB upper limit.

See the man pages for all of these commands.
** Eef Hartman, Delft University of Technology, dept. SSC/ICT **
** e-mail: E.J.M.Hartman(a)tudelft.nl - phone: +31-15-27 82525 **
From: Antonio Macchi on
> There is no such thing:
> an "audio CD" (not CDROM) is a continuous audio track,
> preceded by a "table of contents", no file organisation
> at all. In fact without the TOC you cannot even separate
> the tracks, it is a continuous stream (that's why you can have
> tracks that "run into each other"), just like the old LP.
> A CD-ROM, on the other hand, is a disk with a file structure,
> mostly in iso-9660 form (others are joliet or uda).
> That is: it has directories, file names etc.

it sounds strange, cause if I do the same with any other media (hard
disks, flash memory etc.), no matter what kind of filesystem it has, I
create an exact copy

> Make a wav file out of it, either as "single stream" or track-separated.
> Make a ISO image out of those files with makeisofs or growisofs (for
> the size of an audio CD you don't really need the latter, it is more
> for DVD's as an ISOfs normally has a 4 GB upper limit.

thanks, it seems not so difficult
bye
From: Eef Hartman on
Antonio Macchi <antonio_macchi(a)alice.it> wrote:
> it sounds strange, cause if I do the same with any other media (hard
> disks, flash memory etc.), no matter what kind of filesystem it has, I
> create an exact copy

Yeah, but those are all "file systems". Audio CD was never designed
for computer usage, so isn't any kind of FILE system at all.
That's why they later created the CD-ROM, CD media, but _with_
a (semi-standarized) file system on it. Of course people later
tried to "improve" that, MS with the Joliet fs, unix-like O/S'es
with the "Rock-Ridge extensions" (luckily those are extensions
cq modifications of the original fs, so the "iso-9660" driver in
Linux can handle them all) and still later with the udf fs (which was
mainly designed for DVD's, as these were large than the 4 GB
iso-9660 limit) but was designed AS a universal disk format (which
is what the letters udf stand for).

PS: the habit of calling an image of a disk a "iso" image is because
it original was used exclusively for iso-9660 - that is CD-ROM -
images.
From: mjt on
On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 16:08:26 +0200
Antonio Macchi <antonio_macchi(a)alice.it> wrote:

> hi, I'm trying to create an ISO image of a Audio CDROM

Why?

--
Keep emotionally active. Cater to your favorite neurosis.
<<< Remove YOURSHOES to email me >>>