From: Antonio Macchi on
mjt wrote:
> On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 16:08:26 +0200
> Antonio Macchi <antonio_macchi(a)alice.it> wrote:
>
>> hi, I'm trying to create an ISO image of a Audio CDROM
>
> Why?

I'm on error... I mean, not an "ISO" image, but a "raw" image of the
disk, no matter what kind of filesystem is written on.

If I think about a flash memory, I can do this...

$ cat < /dev/sda > image.raw

at this point, I have an image of the disk, and I can create a copy
whenever I need using the "inverse" command

$ cat < image.raw > /dev/sda

but it seems not work on Audio CD ROMS
From: Jasen Betts on
On 2010-08-03, Antonio Macchi <antonio_macchi(a)alice.it> wrote:
> hi, I'm trying to create an ISO image of a Audio CDROM

what's an audio cdrom?

From: Jasen Betts on
On 2010-08-03, Eef Hartman <E.J.M.Hartman(a)tudelft.nl> wrote:
> Antonio Macchi <antonio_macchi(a)alice.it> wrote:
>> hi, I'm trying to create an ISO image of a Audio CDROM
>
> There is no such thing:
> an "audio CD" (not CDROM) is a continuous audio track,
> preceded by a "table of contents", no file organisation
> at all. In fact without the TOC you cannot even separate
> the tracks, it is a continuous stream (that's why you can have
> tracks that "run into each other"), just like the old LP.
> A CD-ROM, on the other hand, is a disk with a file structure,
> mostly in iso-9660 form (others are joliet or uda).
> That is: it has directories, file names etc.

I have seen HFS used on cd-roms too. high-sierra and rock-ridge
are two other ISO9660 variants.

From: unruh on
On 2010-08-03, Antonio Macchi <antonio_macchi(a)alice.it> wrote:
> hi, I'm trying to create an ISO image of a Audio CDROM

And you want to do this why?

> using this command
>
> $ cat < /dev/cdrom > cd.iso
>
> don't work, nor

"Does not work" means what? Does not predict the next election?
Does not find gold in your garden?

> $ dd if=/dev/cdrom of=cd.iso
>
> why?
> How can I create this ISO image?

If you told us what you wanted we might be of more use.
NOte that both techniques will and did produce a file which was named
cd.iso so both worked.
From: Eef Hartman on
Jasen Betts <jasen(a)xnet.co.nz> wrote:
> I have seen HFS used on cd-roms too.

I've even seen HP-UX's file system on CD-rom's (that is called
hfs too, but NOT the Apple variety).

> rock-ridge are two other ISO9660 variants.

Rock-Ridge is explicitly labelled as an EXTENSION to the iso9660
standard, to handle VMS and/or Unix extended attributes and filenames,
etc. Original ISO (level 2) allowed 31 chars as maximum length,
all capitals, numeric and/or _, VMS has got version numbers (;number),
unix, of course, allows much more in filenames.
Mostly in Linux iso-9660 level 1 (8+3 filenames) plus RRe is used.
If you read them on a non-RRe capable system, you'll only see the
MS-Dos 8+3 filenames (just like the "short" filenames in vfat).
** Eef Hartman, Delft University of Technology, dept. SSC/ICT **
** e-mail: E.J.M.Hartman(a)tudelft.nl - phone: +31-15-27 82525 **