From: Jasen Betts on
On 2010-08-03, Antonio Macchi <antonio_macchi(a)alice.it> wrote:
>> There is no such thing:
>> an "audio CD" (not CDROM) is a continuous audio track,
>> preceded by a "table of contents", no file organisation
>> at all. In fact without the TOC you cannot even separate
>> the tracks, it is a continuous stream (that's why you can have
>> tracks that "run into each other"), just like the old LP.
>> A CD-ROM, on the other hand, is a disk with a file structure,
>> mostly in iso-9660 form (others are joliet or uda).
>> That is: it has directories, file names etc.

> it sounds strange, cause if I do the same with any other media (hard
> disks, flash memory etc.), no matter what kind of filesystem it has, I
> create an exact copy

Audio tracks are stored with a different low-level encoding to data
tracks, the sector packing and forward error correction is done
differently.

There may be a way to make a raw image of any disk, but I don't know
what it is.

From: Antonio Macchi on
>> $ cat < /dev/cdrom > cd.iso
>>
>> don't work, nor
>
> "Does not work" means what? Does not predict the next election?
> Does not find gold in your garden?

$ cat < /dev/hdb
cat: -: input output error

but, for example, commands like "abcde" or "icedax" works fine
From: Mike Jones on
Responding to unruh:

> On 2010-08-03, Antonio Macchi <antonio_macchi(a)alice.it> wrote:
>> hi, I'm trying to create an ISO image of a Audio CDROM
>
> And you want to do this why?
>

>> using this command
>>
>> $ cat < /dev/cdrom > cd.iso
>>
>> don't work, nor
>
> "Does not work" means what? Does not predict the next election? Does not
> find gold in your garden?
>

>> $ dd if=/dev/cdrom of=cd.iso
>>
>> why?
>> How can I create this ISO image?
>
> If you told us what you wanted we might be of more use. NOte that both
> techniques will and did produce a file which was named cd.iso so both
> worked.

I think the OP is trying to create a stored and replicatable image of a
Audio CDROM disk. Like a lot of people do, he started off assuming that
this would involve an ISO image, like other removable media does.

As simply ripping the thing using cdrdao would take about as much HDD
space as a disk image, maybe that would be the way to go here?

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.