From: Magnate on
"Nico Kadel-Garcia" <nkadel(a)gmail.com> wrote
>On Sep 22, 2:36 pm, Unruh <unruh-s...(a)physics.ubc.ca> wrote:
>> Bill Marcum <marcumb...(a)bellsouth.net> writes:

>> There is ALWAYS a root user. That Ubuntu has the idiotic convention that
>> you should use sudo does not alter the fact that a root user exists. Shy
>> not do
>> sudo passwd and enter a password for root and then you can use the root
>> user as
>> intended.

Thank you for the correction. Indeed there is always a root user, but it
does not always have a password set, and is therefore not always available
as a direct login.

>Now, now: the sudo convention is very handy for keeping users away
>from unnecessary use of the 'root' user, especially for shell access.

Thank you. IMO almost all use of the root user is unnecessary: I have
managed to learn to use sudo for almost everything. I now log in as root
very rarely - less than once a month I would guess.

>rose is probably not listed in /etc/sudoers with the appropriate
>permissions, while chrisc is.

Thank you again - that had escaped me completely.

>> >If you have Gnome, use the system authorization menu in Gnome control
>> >center
>> >to give rose access to printers.

>And that's excellent advice. Those 'system authorizaition' menus
>basically manage /etc/sudoers. But so far, Magnate didn't say what OS
>they're running, nor if their CUPS and in turn their related
>ghostscript and other drivers are. So Magnate? If you can give us some
>hints about which Linux flavor, and which version of CUPS and in turn
>the Epson setup, and look in the /var/log/ directories for information
>about what is failing, it might be more helpful overall than simply
>getting help with this particular workaround.

Sorry - it's always tricky knowing how much to put in the first description
of a problem. It's a vanilla Debian Lenny install (i.e. no packages except
what's in the official Debian repositories, and debian-multimedia.org - and
nothing built from source). So it's whatever versions of cups and gs are in
Lenny (it's my in-laws' machine so I don't have access to it right now).
Thanks to everyone for all the replies - I'm guessing that I need to add
rose to /etc/sudoers with specific permission to do printer admin. I'm not
quite sure of the syntax of /etc/sudoers, but I'm sure I can look it up if I
can't get the Gnome applet to do it all for me.

CC

From: Unruh on
"Magnate" <not(a)receiving.here> writes:

>"Bill Marcum" <marcumbill(a)bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.setup.]
>> On 2009-09-22, Magnate <not(a)receiving.here> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Grateful for any help diagnosing this problem:
>>>
>>> Two users on the system: chrisc and rose. Both are members of group
>>> lpadmin.
>>>
>>> The printer (an old Epson Stylus) has a habit of downing tools between
>>> jobs - need to go to CUPS web admin interface (localhost:631) and click
>>> the
>>> green "Start printer" button to restart it - it works fine after that
>>> (until
>>> the next time it downs tools).
>>>
>>> When you click the button, up pops a dialog asking for a username and
>>> password. rose's username and password are rejected, yet chrisc's work
>>> fine.

What group is chrisc a member of and not rose?

>>> Is lpadmin the wrong group for cups permissions?? (There is no root user
>>> on
>>> this system - all root commands are done with sudo.)
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>>
>> If you have Gnome, use the system authorization menu in Gnome control
>> center
>> to give rose access to printers.

>A-ha! Thank you, that sounds like something I need to investigate. Now, as I
>mentioned, this machine doesn't have a root user - in my experience this
>confuses Gnome terribly, as it likes to ask for the root password for all
>sorts of admin/auth things. Is there a "gnome admin" group that I can make
>myself a member of to get round this?

Sure it has a root user. It must in order to use sudo.
Just give root a password
(sudo passwd
should probably do it)
I find that attitude of disabling root idiotic. Yes, sudo is handy at
times, but to me it is like cutting off your legs because you might
develope ingrown tonails if you keep your legs.

>Thanks again,

>CC

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2