From: Magnate on
Hi all,

Grateful for any help diagnosing this problem:

Two users on the system: chrisc and rose. Both are members of group lpadmin.

The printer (an old Epson Stylus) has a habit of downing tools between
jobs - need to go to CUPS web admin interface (localhost:631) and click the
green "Start printer" button to restart it - it works fine after that (until
the next time it downs tools).

When you click the button, up pops a dialog asking for a username and
password. rose's username and password are rejected, yet chrisc's work fine.

Is lpadmin the wrong group for cups permissions?? (There is no root user on
this system - all root commands are done with sudo.)

Thanks in advance,

CC

From: Bill Marcum on
["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.setup.]
On 2009-09-22, Magnate <not(a)receiving.here> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Grateful for any help diagnosing this problem:
>
> Two users on the system: chrisc and rose. Both are members of group lpadmin.
>
> The printer (an old Epson Stylus) has a habit of downing tools between
> jobs - need to go to CUPS web admin interface (localhost:631) and click the
> green "Start printer" button to restart it - it works fine after that (until
> the next time it downs tools).
>
> When you click the button, up pops a dialog asking for a username and
> password. rose's username and password are rejected, yet chrisc's work fine.
>
> Is lpadmin the wrong group for cups permissions?? (There is no root user on
> this system - all root commands are done with sudo.)
>
> Thanks in advance,

If you have Gnome, use the system authorization menu in Gnome control center
to give rose access to printers.

From: Unruh on
Bill Marcum <marcumbill(a)bellsouth.net> writes:

>["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.setup.]
>On 2009-09-22, Magnate <not(a)receiving.here> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Grateful for any help diagnosing this problem:
>>
>> Two users on the system: chrisc and rose. Both are members of group lpadmin.
>>
>> The printer (an old Epson Stylus) has a habit of downing tools between
>> jobs - need to go to CUPS web admin interface (localhost:631) and click the
>> green "Start printer" button to restart it - it works fine after that (until
>> the next time it downs tools).
>>
>> When you click the button, up pops a dialog asking for a username and
>> password. rose's username and password are rejected, yet chrisc's work fine.
>>
>> Is lpadmin the wrong group for cups permissions?? (There is no root user on
>> this system - all root commands are done with sudo.)

There is ALWAYS a root user. That Ubuntu has the idiotic convention that
you should use sudo does not alter the fact that a root user exists.
Shy not do
sudo passwd
and enter a password for root and then you can use the root user as
intended.

From: Nico Kadel-Garcia on
On Sep 22, 2:36 pm, Unruh <unruh-s...(a)physics.ubc.ca> wrote:
> Bill Marcum <marcumb...(a)bellsouth.net> writes:
> >["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.setup.]
> >On 2009-09-22, Magnate <n...(a)receiving.here> wrote:
> >> Hi all,
>
> >> Grateful for any help diagnosing this problem:
>
> >> Two users on the system: chrisc and rose. Both are members of group lpadmin.
>
> >> The printer (an old Epson Stylus) has a habit of downing tools between
> >> jobs - need to go to CUPS web admin interface (localhost:631) and click the
> >> green "Start printer" button to restart it - it works fine after that (until
> >> the next time it downs tools).
>
> >> When you click the button, up pops a dialog asking for a username and
> >> password. rose's username and password are rejected, yet chrisc's work fine.
>
> >> Is lpadmin the wrong group for cups permissions?? (There is no root user on
> >> this system - all root commands are done with sudo.)
>
> There is ALWAYS a root user. That Ubuntu has the idiotic convention that
> you should use sudo does not alter the fact that a root user exists.
> Shy not do
> sudo passwd
> and enter a password for root and then you can use the root user as
> intended.

Now, now: the sudo convention is very handy for keeping users away
from unnecessary use of the 'root' user, especially for shell access.

rose is probably not listed in /etc/sudoers with the appropriate
permissions, while chrisc is.

If you need root shells, and are a member listed in /etc/sudoers, you
can do 'sudo -s -H", which works pretty well.

> >> Thanks in advance,
>
> >If you have Gnome, use the system authorization menu in Gnome control center
> >to give rose access to printers.

And that's excellent advice. Those 'system authorizaition' menus
basically manage /etc/sudoers. But so far, Magnate didn't say what OS
they're running, nor if their CUPS and in turn their related
ghostscript and other drivers are. So Magnate? If you can give us some
hints about which Linux flavor, and which version of CUPS and in turn
the Epson setup, and look in the /var/log/ directories for information
about what is failing, it might be more helpful overall than simply
getting help with this particular workaround.
From: Magnate on
"Bill Marcum" <marcumbill(a)bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.setup.]
> On 2009-09-22, Magnate <not(a)receiving.here> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Grateful for any help diagnosing this problem:
>>
>> Two users on the system: chrisc and rose. Both are members of group
>> lpadmin.
>>
>> The printer (an old Epson Stylus) has a habit of downing tools between
>> jobs - need to go to CUPS web admin interface (localhost:631) and click
>> the
>> green "Start printer" button to restart it - it works fine after that
>> (until
>> the next time it downs tools).
>>
>> When you click the button, up pops a dialog asking for a username and
>> password. rose's username and password are rejected, yet chrisc's work
>> fine.
>>
>> Is lpadmin the wrong group for cups permissions?? (There is no root user
>> on
>> this system - all root commands are done with sudo.)
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
> If you have Gnome, use the system authorization menu in Gnome control
> center
> to give rose access to printers.

A-ha! Thank you, that sounds like something I need to investigate. Now, as I
mentioned, this machine doesn't have a root user - in my experience this
confuses Gnome terribly, as it likes to ask for the root password for all
sorts of admin/auth things. Is there a "gnome admin" group that I can make
myself a member of to get round this?

Thanks again,

CC

 |  Next  |  Last