From: Richard Webb on
George Gleason writes:

> yes denny likesthings his way, and in the end he is the guy I
> hire and he gets to have things the way he wants them, myself, I
> perfer velco wraps

I do that, or some tie line or light rope. I get pretty
braindead after a gig, and one thing I find is that folks
are inconsistent about the way they wrap and stow cables. A bit of tie line, light rope or the velcro at one end that
stays with the cable helps folks to secure them properly
before they're stowed. Since I"m as guilty as others when
it comes to sloppiness during pack out the hassle created is minor compared to what it would be like at the next setup
without them.

NOw, were I able to hire a guy like Denny consistently whose responsibility and reliability is quite high then I"d
probably make him the boss dog when it comes to cable
stowage at pack out, and then I'd do it his way <g>.

My biggest gripe is the snake and power feed cables. Every
now and then I sure get to thinking about how cool it would
be to go digital from the head end of the snake back to the
truck but then I get to thinking about what would happen to
that cat5 cable running across a parking lot, and that still wouldn't eliminate the bulky power feed cabling. <oh well>

Regards,
Richard
.... Remote audio in the southland: See www.gatasound.com
From: Audio1 on
DanielleOM wrote:

> I was wondering what systems people here use to store cables so that
> they do not get tangled. I am thinking microphone cables and instrument
> cable approximately 25' long.

A couple of posters have mentioned reels. The big company I worked for
most often had Hannay reels built into trays with casters and pull-over
lids. The lids made a great place on which to put the stage
box/splitter, brought it up about two feet so you didn't have to bend
over as far or squat 30 times a gig. We usually ran out 30-40 25' mic
cables on stage, a few more for patching, etc. Unless you're looking at
carrying 60-80 or more 25' cables a reel isn't worth the effort.

Another company I worked with had a drawer in a work box and cables just
got coiled and tossed in. Spaghetti. I finally got them to plug the
cables end to end (so what you end up with is one long mic cable) and
loosely coil/toss the cable into the drawer. Wonderful. You grab the
loose end, pull until you get to a connector and you rarely get a tangle
that won't easily shake out. I've since adapted this idea to Rubbermaid
tubs or little Anvil-style trunks for smaller rigs. As long as cables
get plugged end to end it rarely tangles. You don't really need to make
a neat coil when putting them away, in fact it takes more time to make a
neat coil and not let the cable fall into the 'donut hole.' If you've
ever had a climbing/rescue rope kept in a bag you'll get the idea. The
bottom of the tub makes a great place for small XLR adapters, a DI or
two and even a cable tester.

With reels and tubs/boxes/drawers at load out you can plug all the mic
cables ends to end on the deck, then roll 'em up or feed 'em into the
box while holding a moist rag in one hand and clean the stage dirt off
the cables while you watch for damage and have clean cables ready to go
at the next gig. Another advantage of end to end is you can connect the
whole lot to the cable tester and know if you need to look for a bad cable.

> A friend of mine always leaves a piece of rope tied around one end of
> the cable.

Ties take time, look messy, get lost, stolen, cause tangles... I use
them on fan-fan, fan-box, etc. snakes that I keep in a drawer ands only
use a few per gig but once you start using 20-30 mic cables they become
a real pain. I use black, cotton rope I dye myself. The Velcro ties
pick up stuff like hair, grass, sweater fuzz, etc.

For 1/4-1/4 cables I use a compartment in a drawer. I coil the cable,
no ties or knots, and just lay it in the drawer. Sometimes you get more
than one when you grab but I don't use nearly as many 1/4-1/4 as I do
mic cables and it's not an energy/time suck. Knots or wrapping the end
of a cable around the coil tends to cause the end of the cable to curl
and probably violates the minimum radius spec. I've never found it
worth the time to do it and later un-do it.

> I was putting each cable in a plastic bag. Worked well until I started
> using more cables. Takes time to open the bags and get the cable in there.
>
> I am thinking of using velcro ties that can be left on the cable.
>

> Thanks
>
> Danielle

Whatever you do best wishes and good luck!
From: Sean Conolly on
"Denny Strauser" <dsdennysound(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> DanielleOM wrote:
>>>
>>> I prefer just tying a knot in the cable. I can tie a knot in the cable
>>> much faster than using tie line or Velcro, and when unwrapped it is
>>> neater. I can unwrap the cable faster with just a simple knot. And,
>>> Velcro makes it hard to pull a cable through a bunch of cables run on
>>> stage.
>>> - Denny
>>
>> How do tie a knot in the cable and keep within manufacturer's guidelines
>> for minimum radius? Was this a tongue in cheek suggestion?
>
> This was a serious reply. I have no idea what you mean by mfg guidelines
> of minimum radius. I just know that in 30 years as a sound engineer, I
> HATE tie-line & Velcro. If I work with a sound company that insists on
> this time-consuming way of tying cables, I might conform, if I have the
> time, but my preferred way is to tie a simple knot in the cable itself,
> with very short ends. I am extremely anal about wrapping cables. I've had
> dozens of interns & assistants, & I almost NEVER let anyone help wrap
> cables. When I do, it takes me double the time to wire the stage for the
> next show.

+1!

I'm also anal about the cable wrap - and always wrap my own. I always plug
the ends together to cut down on junk getting into the connectors, and then
I wrap them the same way I wrapped lines on my sailboat. I can dump 'em out
of box, throw 'em around, whatever they will not get tangled. I wrap them so
that the connectors are in the middle of the wrap for better protection when
they get dumped onto hard floors, and so there's no stress at the
connectors.

Most people think that wrapping like this would quickly kill a cable, but I
have quite a few that are over ten years old and in use every week. Of
course dirt-cheap cables will break pretty quickly no matter how you wrap
them.

Sean

From: JWald on

----
"Sean Conolly" <sjconolly_98(a)yaaho.com> wrote in message
> "Denny Strauser" <dsdennysound(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> DanielleOM wrote:

>>> How do tie a knot in the cable and keep within manufacturer's guidelines
>>> for minimum radius? Was this a tongue in cheek suggestion?
>>
>> This was a serious reply. I have no idea what you mean by mfg guidelines
>> of minimum radius. I just know that in 30 years as a sound engineer, I
>> HATE tie-line & Velcro. If I work with a sound company that insists on
>> this time-consuming way of tying cables, I might conform, if I have the
>> time, but my preferred way is to tie a simple knot in the cable itself,
>> with very short ends. I am extremely anal about wrapping cables. I've had
>> dozens of interns & assistants, & I almost NEVER let anyone help wrap
>> cables. When I do, it takes me double the time to wire the stage for the
>> next show.
>
> +1!
>
> I'm also anal about the cable wrap - and always wrap my own. I always plug
> the ends together to cut down on junk getting into the connectors, and
> then I wrap them the same way I wrapped lines on my sailboat. I can dump
> 'em out of box, throw 'em around, whatever they will not get tangled. I
> wrap them so that the connectors are in the middle of the wrap for better
> protection when they get dumped onto hard floors, and so there's no stress
> at the connectors.
>
> Most people think that wrapping like this would quickly kill a cable, but
> I have quite a few that are over ten years old and in use every week. Of
> course dirt-cheap cables will break pretty quickly no matter how you wrap
> them.
>
> Sean

My name is Jeff, and I'm anal about cables too. I've stagehanded for about
12 yrs., and cable wrapping was about the first thing I learned. I also have
to wrap all the cables and cords for my band gigs too. No one can seem to
figure it out. The problem is that I have to set the PA and lights, run the
cables, and set up my drum kit. The lazy bastards I play with are about to
get an eye opener.
--
J Wald

From: Denny Strauser on
JWald wrote:
> ----
> "Sean Conolly" <sjconolly_98(a)yaaho.com> wrote in message

>>> dozens of interns & assistants, & I almost NEVER let anyone help wrap
>>> cables. When I do, it takes me double the time to wire the stage for the
>>> next show.

>> I'm also anal about the cable wrap - and always wrap my own.

> My name is Jeff, and I'm anal about cables too. I've stagehanded for about
> 12 yrs., and cable wrapping was about the first thing I learned. I also have
> to wrap all the cables and cords for my band gigs too. No one can seem to
> figure it out. The problem is that I have to set the PA and lights, run the
> cables, and set up my drum kit. The lazy bastards I play with are about to
> get an eye opener.

I did an amphitheater festival about 10 years ago for a sound company in
Pittsburgh. As I was packing up FOH, a union crew packed all the mic
cables into our 2ft x 2ft x 3ft cable case. That case was stacked wheels
up on another case in the truck. When I arrived at my next show, I found
that none of the cables were tied at all. It took TWO HOURS to untangle
the spaghetti. A DAMN UNION CREW! They should know better! TWO FREAKIN
HOURS! I was pissed ....

- Denny