From: tedd on
At 11:21 PM +0530 6/3/10, Shreyas wrote:
>Folks,
>
>Just quite could not stop taking your inputs before I start my learning
>curve to shape up.
>
>Should I use one of these frameworks or just *K*eep *I*t *S*imple and *S*tupid
>and learn it the traditional way? Thoughts?
>
>--
>Regards,
>Shreyas

Shreyas:

Alternatives? Yes, there are alternatives.

I've been doing web-work/web-programming for well over a decade and
have never learned a framework. Instead, I've developed my own.

I have purchased and read literally scores and scores of php books
and have worked through every example they provide. This not only
gives me a considerable hard-copy library of relevant books, but also
a library of hundreds working examples that spreads across several
development domains. I read "on the average" a book a week, but not
all of them are on php.

I also do this for other languages, such as mysql, css, javascript,
and more. Incidentally, javascript DOM scripting is fascinating --
I'm currently writing examples of that.

Attending this list gives me the opportunity to both help others and
continue expanding my library of my working examples.

Note when landing a client, or a job, your examples can be invaluable
in showing what you can do -- they can be part of your resume. For
example, I've had numerous clients who have asked "I would like A, B,
and C added to my web site -- can you do that?" I've answered with
providing them with working examples of all and say "I've already
done that, here's proof, and I can do that for you. How about hiring
me?" It works in landing work.

So, my advice is to pick up a book, read it, and work through all the
examples. Catalog the examples (i.e., strings, arrays, email, forms,
graphics, sessions, time/date, db, security, etc.), make the work
online, document them well, make them something that you can *reuse*,
and move on to the next book.

Keep in mind that every book has a slant of what the author thinks is
important. So it's important to read more than just one "beginners"
book because each book has it's own offering. To paraphrase Will
Rogers "I've never read a book where I didn't learn something."

Lastly, take every example of every problem/solution provided on this
list and make it part of your own framework. For example, I have
"Yojimbo" (a note library) completely filled with examples provided
by this list with: 1) the problem; 2) the solution; 3) and who
provided the solution. After a while you'll figure out who provides
the best advice for what type of problem.

If nothing else, you'll better understand the language.

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------
http://sperling.com http://ancientstones.com http://earthstones.com
From: Shreyas on
Tedd,

That was very very very helpful. I so agree with you on the A,B and C
example that you have quoted. It not only boosts my confidence with the
answers but so will the employer's.

I am reading this PHP for Dummies and then I plan to read Head First with
PHP, MySQL, and Apache. Do you know any books that I can read online or I
can buy? I would be happy to do that.

Also, I couldn't get much information about "Yojimbo". I would be
very curious to know how you maintain your learning(s) in the very way that
you mentioned in the mail. I can definitely try to implement it.

Regards,
Shreyas

From: tedd on
>Tedd,
>
>That was very very very helpful. I so agree with you on the A,B and
>C example that you have quoted. It not only boosts my confidence
>with the answers but so will the employer's.
>
>I am reading this PHP for Dummies and then I plan to read Head First
>with PHP, MySQL, and Apache. Do you know any books that I can read
>online or I can buy? I would be happy to do that.
>
>Also, I couldn't get much information about "Yojimbo". I would be
>very curious to know how you maintain your learning(s) in the very
>way that you mentioned in the mail. I can definitely try to
>implement it.
>
>Regards,
>Shreyas

Shreyas:

"PHP for Dummies" is fine as an start. As for "Head First with PHP,
MySQL, and Apache" I don't recommend it -- the "Head First" line is
a bit too "hip" for me. Instead, I recommend "Learning PHP, MySQL &
JavaScript" by Nixon published by O'Reilly (most O'Reilly books are
very good).

The first part of the book can be a bit scary for beginners, but it
gives you the basics of how to set-up your development environment.
However, starting on page 33 and from there on, the book provides an
exceptional introduction into PHP, MySQL, and JavaScript -- you will
need all three (plus html) to make a fully-rounded web application.

As for Yojimbo, that's a Mac application I use for keeping notes. I
am sure you can find something similar in the windozes environment.
The point being is to have somewhere you can cut/past snip-its of
code for future reference. It really doesn't mean that you fully
understand the code before making a library of it, but rather it's a
listing of like-code that you can review to help you in your coding.

Another tip I give my students at college is to use the net for
reference. For example, if you don't know what a term is, like
"$_SERVER['PHP_SELF']" is, then Google it. I did and found:

http://php.net/manual/en/reserved.variables.php
http://php.net/manual/en/reserved.variables.server.php

in the first two links reported. That's more than enough to explain what it is.

And lastly, use this list for questions. However, be sure to: 1)
Prepare your questions thoroughly. Often writing the question
prepares you to solve it yourself; 2) Do you homework. Don't flood
the list with questions that are easily answered by you just reading
the manuals -- otherwise, you might get a RTFM reply. The list is for
things that you don't understand AFTER you have done due diligence.
3) We are not here to write your code for you. If you post what
you've done, we usually will reply with a cirque, but we only here to
help *you* code.

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------
http://sperling.com http://ancientstones.com http://earthstones.com
From: "Bob McConnell" on
From: tedd

>>That was very very very helpful. I so agree with you on the A,B and
>>C example that you have quoted. It not only boosts my confidence
>>with the answers but so will the employer's.
>>
>>I am reading this PHP for Dummies and then I plan to read Head First
>>with PHP, MySQL, and Apache. Do you know any books that I can read
>>online or I can buy? I would be happy to do that.
>
> "PHP for Dummies" is fine as an start. As for "Head First with PHP,
> MySQL, and Apache" I don't recommend it -- the "Head First" line is
> a bit too "hip" for me. Instead, I recommend "Learning PHP, MySQL &
> JavaScript" by Nixon published by O'Reilly (most O'Reilly books are
> very good).

I just wish there were PostgreSQL translations for some of these books,
That would make them much more useful.

Bob McConnell
From: Adam Richardson on

> I am reading this PHP for Dummies and then I plan to read Head First with
> PHP, MySQL, and Apache. Do you know any books that I can read online or I
> can buy? I would be happy to do that.

Hi Shreyas,

I think you've received some excellent advice.

I like the Head First Books quite a bit. I attended grad school for
cognitive psychology, and I can tell you that the Head First Books do a
great job of integrating methods shown to enhance learning.

I own several of the books in the series, including those on iPhone
development and Design Patterns, and while I don't own the PHP book, I've
reviewed it at the book store and recommend it to some friends who have
taken up PHP, too, and they've been very pleased with the resource.

I hope you have an enriching, enjoyable experience as you learn PHP.

Adam

--
Nephtali: PHP web framework that functions beautifully
http://nephtaliproject.com