From: .Len B on
ACC 2003
I have a form with a tab control at the bottom. The first tab
has just a single control named txtComment. The other two tabs
contain a different subform.

The main form is based on a table - Equipment.
Each subform is independent of the other and each is based on
a table with a 1-many relationship to Equipment.
These tables are Maintenance and Movements.

When moving from record to record, there is a delay before
each new record is displayed. During this delay, the status bar
displays the message "Calculating..." which then changes to
"Form View"

This app is deployed with both BEs & FE in the same the network
share. It performs faster on my stand-alone machine but there the
delay is only about one third of a second. On the network the
delay is around 10 seconds.

How can I find out what is being calculated?

--
Len
remove nothing for valid email address.

From: Wayne-I-M on
Hi

Not sure if it's any use to you, but I used to have this problem on a test
database that I used to plan thing in.
One of the forms (FE) used to take up to 20 seconds to load but if the same
DB was run just on a stand alone machine it was fine.
I found the problem by copying the form and just deleting each control until
I got it. It was an unbound text box that was bringing data from a DLookUp
on load.

As we can't see your app I suggest you try that same.
Work on a copy of the form and (if you have one/any) that base querries.
Start with the form and delete one control/lookup/code/onload/etc
It is time sonsumming but that the only thing that worked for me.

Maybe there is some code you can run to find the problem but best bet would
just be to step through the form/querries and find it that way.

--
Wayne
Manchester, England.

From: Wayne-I-M on
Just had a thought.

Do you have the tables indexed and the sort of the form/querry set to
something other than the indexes.
Worth a quick check.
If there is then you may find (on a large DB) that the form will loop
through to the end before displaying - and this will be worse if you're doing
this over a heavy use network.

Just a thought
--
Wayne
Manchester, England.

From: .Len B on
Thanks for the ideas wayne,
The form is unordered. There are only 69 equipment records entered so
far.
There are 2 combo controls which are used to go to a specific record.

The OnCurrent code syncs these combos and colours some controls if
disposed is checked.

Two controls have domain functions. There is a text box bound to location
id and another
text box which looks up the location on plain language. Another control
uses DSum to add
the values of all the related maintenance records for the equipment item.
No maintenance
records have been entered yet.

Looking at that, all I can suspect is the DSum. In the morning I'll
unbind that control and
have a play. I can't blame anything else and with only 69 records ...

From: Linq Adams via AccessMonster.com on
Also, one line in your post concerns me:

"This app is deployed with both BEs & FE in the same the network
share."

This sounds as if you have multiple users sharing a single front end on your
network. If this is correct, this really defeats the entire purpose of
splitting the database. A copy of the front end should be on each user's hard
drive.

Answers/posts based on Access 2000/2003

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2