From: Mok-Kong Shen on
Pubkeybreaker wrote:
> Mok-Kong Shen wrote:

>> As I remarked in sci.crypt in a thread (initiated 05.04) of the same
>> title, there are practical issues (no software to tightly control
>> the CPU consumption and necessity of constant connection with the
>> server) that likely renders a participation unattractive for many
>> people with computers running OS like Windows.
>>

> Your reply assumes facts that are contrary to the available evidence.
> BOINC supports both Windows and off-line processing. Work
> Assignments
> are/can be small, so that code only runs for an hour or two, thus
> limiting
> CPU usage.

I accessed http://escatter11.fullerton.edu/nfs/. While the page is all
English, an exception is the item "Unsere Regeln und Grunds�tze" in
German there. One reads the following:

Die Anwendungen von NFS(a)Home k�nnen auf manchen Computern zu
�berhitzung f�hren. Wenn dies passiert, sollten Sie aufh�ren, mit
dem betreffenden Computer f�r NFS(a)Home zu arbeiten oder ein
Hilfprogramm einsetzen, das die Prozessornutzung beschr�nkt.

Isn't that disconcerting enough for a potential participant?

What I would think that most potential doners of computer time with
machines running Windows would like is: there be a mechanism with which
one can set 'at any time' the cpu-time consumption of the
nfs-application to x-%, where x is any arbitrary value between 0 and
100. Are you sure that such a mechanism exists (to be downloaded from
BOINC or elsewhere)?

As to connection to the server, I don't exactly know, but the follow-up
of Chip Eastham of 06.04.2010 19:31 indicated that there had been at
least some problem in that direction.

M. K. Shen

From: Pubkeybreaker on
On May 12, 4:46 pm, Mok-Kong Shen <mok-kong.s...(a)t-online.de> wrote:
> Pubkeybreaker wrote:
> > Mok-Kong Shen wrote:
> >> As I remarked in sci.crypt in a thread (initiated 05.04) of the same
> >> title, there are practical issues (no software to tightly control
> >> the CPU consumption and necessity of constant connection with the
> >> server) that likely renders a participation unattractive for many
> >> people with computers running OS like Windows.
>
> > Your reply assumes facts that are contrary to the available evidence.
> > BOINC supports both Windows and off-line processing.   Work
> > Assignments
> > are/can be   small,  so that code only runs for an hour or two,  thus
> > limiting
> > CPU usage.
>
> I accessedhttp://escatter11.fullerton.edu/nfs/. While the page is all
> English, an exception is the item "Unsere Regeln und Grundsätze" in
> German there. One reads the following:
>
>     Die Anwendungen von NFS(a)Home können auf manchen Computern zu
>     Überhitzung führen. Wenn dies passiert, sollten Sie aufhören, mit
>     dem betreffenden Computer für NFS(a)Home zu arbeiten oder ein
>     Hilfprogramm einsetzen, das die Prozessornutzung beschränkt.
>
> Isn't that disconcerting enough for a potential participant?
>
> What I would think that most potential doners of computer time with
> machines running Windows would like is: there be a mechanism with which
> one can set 'at any time' the cpu-time consumption of the
> nfs-application to x-%, where x is any arbitrary value between 0 and
> 100. Are you sure that such a mechanism exists (to be downloaded from
> BOINC or elsewhere)?

There is no mechanism for ANY PROGRAM under Windows that gives that
kind
of control.

I can't imagine why one would need it.
From: Mok-Kong Shen on
Pubkeybreaker wrote:
> Mok-Kong Shen wrote:

>> I accessedhttp://escatter11.fullerton.edu/nfs/. While the page is all
>> English, an exception is the item "Unsere Regeln und Grunds�tze" in
>> German there. One reads the following:
>>
>> Die Anwendungen von NFS(a)Home k�nnen auf manchen Computern zu
>> �berhitzung f�hren. Wenn dies passiert, sollten Sie aufh�ren, mit
>> dem betreffenden Computer f�r NFS(a)Home zu arbeiten oder ein
>> Hilfprogramm einsetzen, das die Prozessornutzung beschr�nkt.
>>
>> Isn't that disconcerting enough for a potential participant?
>>
>> What I would think that most potential doners of computer time with
>> machines running Windows would like is: there be a mechanism with which
>> one can set 'at any time' the cpu-time consumption of the
>> nfs-application to x-%, where x is any arbitrary value between 0 and
>> 100. Are you sure that such a mechanism exists (to be downloaded from
>> BOINC or elsewhere)?
>
> There is no mechanism for ANY PROGRAM under Windows that gives that
> kind
> of control.
>
> I can't imagine why one would need it.

Two reasons:

(1) From the above quote (in German), one desires, before getting
experience on the safety concerning overheating of the machine, to
"mildly" run the first nfs-applications, e.g. via limiting its cpu-time
consumtion to 50%.

(2) During an nfs-run, one may have some jobs of one's own that one
would like to be done as quickly as possible. (Analogy: one may let
one's kins to use one's car or bike at any time they want, but there
are occassions when one does badly need one own vehicle oneself.)

M. K. Shen

From: Pubkeybreaker on
On May 13, 8:48 am, Mok-Kong Shen <mok-kong.s...(a)t-online.de> wrote:
> Pubkeybreaker wrote:
> > Mok-Kong Shen wrote:
> >> I accessedhttp://escatter11.fullerton.edu/nfs/. While the page is all
> >> English, an exception is the item "Unsere Regeln und Grundsätze" in
> >> German there. One reads the following:
>
> >>      Die Anwendungen von NFS(a)Home können auf manchen Computern zu
> >>      Überhitzung führen. Wenn dies passiert, sollten Sie aufhören, mit
> >>      dem betreffenden Computer für NFS(a)Home zu arbeiten oder ein
> >>      Hilfprogramm einsetzen, das die Prozessornutzung beschränkt.
>
> >> Isn't that disconcerting enough for a potential participant?
>
> >> What I would think that most potential doners of computer time with
> >> machines running Windows would like is: there be a mechanism with which
> >> one can set 'at any time' the cpu-time consumption of the
> >> nfs-application to x-%, where x is any arbitrary value between 0 and
> >> 100. Are you sure that such a mechanism exists (to be downloaded from
> >> BOINC or elsewhere)?
>
> > There is no mechanism for ANY PROGRAM under Windows that gives that
> > kind
> > of control.
>
> > I can't imagine why one would need it.
>
> Two reasons:
>
> (1) From the above quote (in German), one desires, before getting
> experience on the safety concerning overheating of the machine, to
> "mildly" run the first nfs-applications, e.g. via limiting its cpu-time
> consumtion to 50%.
>
> (2) During an nfs-run, one may have some jobs of one's own that one
> would like to be done as quickly as possible. (Analogy: one may let
> one's kins to use one's car or bike at any time they want, but there
> are occassions when one does badly need one own vehicle oneself.)

This can all be done without the level of control you are demanding.

You don't find BOINC projects suitable for your machine. This is
fine.
Millions of people do find it suitable. This is what makes horse
racing.
From: Mok-Kong Shen on
Pubkeybreaker wrote:
> Mok-Kong Shen wrote:
>> Pubkeybreaker wrote:

>>> There is no mechanism for ANY PROGRAM under Windows that gives that
>>> kind
>>> of control.
>>
>>> I can't imagine why one would need it.
>>
>> Two reasons:
>>
>> (1) From the above quote (in German), one desires, before getting
>> experience on the safety concerning overheating of the machine, to
>> "mildly" run the first nfs-applications, e.g. via limiting its cpu-time
>> consumtion to 50%.
>>
>> (2) During an nfs-run, one may have some jobs of one's own that one
>> would like to be done as quickly as possible. (Analogy: one may let
>> one's kins to use one's car or bike at any time they want, but there
>> are occassions when one does badly need one own vehicle oneself.)
>

> This can all be done without the level of control you are demanding.
>
> You don't find BOINC projects suitable for your machine. This is
> fine.
> Millions of people do find it suitable. This is what makes horse
> racing.

You are "absolutely" right in this point. For example, I am much too
timid to do skiiing, due to fear of accidents. But millions of people
excercise with pleasure that sport and some even gain Olympic medals.

M. K. Shen