From: Peter on
On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 07:58:01 -0700, coyoterunner wrote:

> Hello,
> I am upgrading our VB 6.0 dll's to .net assemblies. They are used by asp
> pages. The first assembly is created and runs fine from a console app
> test harness. I used regasm /tlb /codebase and created a snk for the
> assembly. I placed the net dll and the snk file in the same folder on my
> local machine. The asp pages are in a project in the same solution as
> the .net dll projects. When I run the asp project locally, the new
> assembly cannot be created. When I step into the asp code, I see
> 'children could not be evaluated' on set obj = Server.CreateObject
> ("dotNetDll.dotNetClass"). I tried a few variations of pathing for the
> <Assembly: AssemblyKeyFile attribute. I tried the complete path to the
> snk file(same path as the dll), also ..\..file.snk
> What am I missing?

Perhaps you've been bitten by the following bug, which is caused by an
IE7 update that breaks .NET Interop:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945701

http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?
FeedbackID=294241

I experienced this when an employee of mime thought it would be smart to
add some .NET code to a legacy classic asp application. Although I
warned him about adding .NET to the application's list of dependencies,
some people just have to learn the hard way. His application is now
dependent on .NET and all the upgrade issues that go with it. Not a
smart move, if you ask me. New is not always better, especially when it
comes from MS.

For more info:

http://weblog.ikvm.net/CommentView.aspx?guid=9bdc9af1-7f46-482e-bd5a-
aed5fe82a2f5

http://blogs.msdn.com/sukeshak/archive/2007/09/18/installing-ms07-045-
cumulative-security-update-for-internet-explorer-createobject-call-fails-
with-8000ffff.aspx

http://blogs.msdn.com/sukeshak/archive/2007/12/20/
IE_2D00_Fix_2D00_945701.aspx

Peter