From: coyoterunner on
Hello,
I am upgrading our VB 6.0 dll's to .net assemblies. They are used by
asp pages. The first assembly is created and runs fine from a console
app test harness. I used regasm /tlb /codebase and created a snk for
the assembly. I placed the net dll and the snk file in the same folder
on my local machine. The asp pages are in a project in the same
solution as the .net dll projects. When I run the asp project locally,
the new assembly cannot be created. When I step into the asp code, I
see 'children could not be evaluated' on set obj = Server.CreateObject
("dotNetDll.dotNetClass"). I tried a few variations of pathing for the
<Assembly: AssemblyKeyFile attribute.
I tried the complete path to the snk file(same path as the dll),
also ..\..file.snk
What am I missing?
From: Patrice on
Hi,

> When I step into the asp code, I
> see 'children could not be evaluated' on set obj = Server.CreateObject
> ("dotNetDll.dotNetClass").

This is just a problem when debugging ? According to
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/vsdebug/thread/e66ea627-fb0c-4847-9a10-c74bd514fc9b
it seems to be expected.
(my understanding is so you'll be able to evaluate something exposed by .NET
only if you are stopped in .NET code etc...)

--
Patrice

From: Scott M. on
Did you mark the .NET assembly with "Register for COM" within the project's
properties?

Did you recompile after generating the .snk from within Visual Studio?

Also, the .snk is only needed to sign the .NET file prior to compilation.
You should certainl save the .snk, but it does not get deployed with the
..NET assembly.

-Scott

From: Patrice on
> I believe you are correct. The asp page cannot create the object
> though. It returns no error, just is not able to create it.

Is this just a debugging issue or is this that it doesn't work (obj is not
created) and you try to debug this ?

Could it be that this library have dependencies other than .NET ? Still a
bit strange you don't see any error..

Good luck.

--
Patrice

From: coyoterunner on
On Oct 21, 12:02 pm, "Scott M." <s-...(a)nospam.nospam> wrote:
> Did you mark the .NET assembly with "Register for COM" within the project's
> properties?
>
> Did you recompile after generating the .snk from within Visual Studio?
>
> Also, the .snk is only needed to sign the .NET file prior to compilation.
> You should certainl save the .snk, but it does not get deployed with the
> .NET assembly.
>
> -Scott
>
> "coyoterunner" <christine.muel...(a)wisconsin.gov> wrote in message

> > Hello,
> > I am upgrading our VB 6.0 dll's to .netassemblies. They are used by
> >asppages. The first assembly is created and runs fine from a console
> > app test harness. I used regasm /tlb /codebase and created a snk for
> > the assembly. I placed the net dll and the snk file in the same folder
> > on my local machine. Theasppages are in a project in the same
> > solution as the .net dll projects. When I run theaspproject locally,
> > the new assembly cannot be created. When I step into theaspcode, I
> > see 'children could not be evaluated' on set obj = Server.CreateObject
> > ("dotNetDll.dotNetClass"). I tried a few variations of pathing for the
> > <Assembly: AssemblyKeyFile attribute.
> > I tried the complete path to the snk file(same path as the dll),
> > also ..\..file.snk
> > What am I missing?- Hide quoted text -

Yes I marked it 'Register for Com'.
Yes I recompiled.