From: AES on
I've been sent a couple of one-page text-only PDF documents that display
just fine on screen when opened in Adobe Acrobat, but print with many of
the characters replaced by gibberish when printed from a MacBook running
OS 10.4.11 and printing to an hp LaserJet 6MP. Tried selecting and
unselecting the Use Local Fonts option in Acrobat: no help.

If I open the same documents in Preview, however, they look fine and
print fine, from the same setup.

This evidently has something to do with these documents having been
prepared on a Windows system using entirely Cambria and Cambria Bold
fonts. I no longer have any MS Office or related Windows apps on my
Mac, and don't find any font files with Cambria in the name.

Is there some way I can acquire and install the Cambria fonts on my
system? (preferably for free)

And how can Preview manage to handle these documents, if Acrobat can't?

Thanks for any enlightenment.
From: Matti Vuori on
AES <siegman(a)stanford.edu> wrote in news:siegman-A4D853.11102528062010
@bmedcfsc-srv02.tufts.ad.tufts.edu:
> Is there some way I can acquire and install the Cambria fonts on my
> system? (preferably for free)

You may need to buy it:
http://www.ascendercorp.com/catalog/microsoft/clear-type-font-collection/

> And how can Preview manage to handle these documents, if Acrobat can't?

Two programs don't always work the same way. It is clear that Acrobat - or
the printer - has a bug. If you have checked Adobe for updates, try
printing the files as image (I would think that Acrobat for Mac allows
that).
From: Christoph Frings on
Le Mon, 28 Jun 2010 20:33:32 +0200, Matti Vuori <xmvuori(a)kolumbus.fi> a
�crit:

> AES <siegman(a)stanford.edu> wrote in news:siegman-A4D853.11102528062010
> @bmedcfsc-srv02.tufts.ad.tufts.edu:
>> Is there some way I can acquire and install the Cambria fonts on my
>> system? (preferably for free)
>
> You may need to buy it:
> http://www.ascendercorp.com/catalog/microsoft/clear-type-font-collection/

If I remember well, they ship with MS word viewer (for free).

--
CF