From: ivan@gmail.com on
Hi All,

I have a project to get the image data by camera and want to convert
them as grayscale information. The camera has Camera Link output. It
can be connected directly to universal frame grabber. I am trying to
replace the frame grabber by FPGA. Does somebody know or has
information how to get camera link specification ?

The document which I found mostly only dealed with the pin
configuration and didn't tell how to obtain the image pixel. I plan to
use DS90CR288A to convert from LVDS to parallel. After that I don't
know what should I do with parallel signal.

Thanks in advance,

-ivan

From: Slurp on

"ivan(a)gmail.com" <ivanlimansyah(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I have a project to get the image data by camera and want to convert
> them as grayscale information. The camera has Camera Link output. It
> can be connected directly to universal frame grabber. I am trying to
> replace the frame grabber by FPGA. Does somebody know or has
> information how to get camera link specification ?
>
> The document which I found mostly only dealed with the pin
> configuration and didn't tell how to obtain the image pixel. I plan to
> use DS90CR288A to convert from LVDS to parallel. After that I don't
> know what should I do with parallel signal.
>

> Thanks in advance,
>
> -ivan

The standard document is available from many camera manufacturers including:

http://www.alacron.com/downloads/vncl98076xz/CameraLink20v113.pdf

which tells you everything you need to know.

Slurp

From: Gabor on
Try:

http://www.alacron.com/downloads/vncl98076xz/CameraLink20v113.pdf

There is a section in appendix C which shows how to hook up the
bits for various configurations. Note that "Camera Link" is not a
single image format standard, so it's best to get the information
you need directly from the camera provider.

HTH,
Gabor

From: Brad Smallridge on
> The document which I found mostly only dealed with the pin
> configuration and didn't tell how to obtain the image pixel. I plan to
> use DS90CR288A to convert from LVDS to parallel. After that I don't
> know what should I do with parallel signal.

After you use that chip, the data should be available on certain
lines, if it's a "base" configuration:

camdat:process(clk)
begin
if( clk'event and clk='1') then
-- eight bit output
camdat_out(0) <= '0';
camdat_out(1) <= cam_in(0);
camdat_out(2) <= cam_in(1);
camdat_out(3) <= cam_in(2);
camdat_out(4) <= cam_in(3);
camdat_out(5) <= cam_in(4);
camdat_out(6) <= cam_in(6);
camdat_out(7) <= cam_in(27);
camdat_out(8) <= cam_in(5);
-- twelve bit output
-- camdat_out(0) <= cam_in(3);
-- camdat_out(1) <= cam_in(4);
-- camdat_out(2) <= cam_in(6);
-- camdat_out(3) <= cam_in(27);
-- camdat_out(4) <= cam_in(5);
-- camdat_out(5) <= cam_in(7);
-- camdat_out(6) <= cam_in(8);
-- camdat_out(7) <= cam_in(9);
-- camdat_out(8) <= cam_in(12);
-- testoutput
-- camdat_out <= cam_col_count;
end if;
end process;

You didn't say what language or chip you are using.

Brad Smallridge
aivision

From: Guru on
Why do you want to use a separate chip for LVDS to paralell? Is the
frequency too high? Spartan3 (or other) has LVDS integrated in IOB.

Cheers,

Guru