From: Ross on
On 18/11/2009 21:05, niby wrote:
> Can companies which have 0800, 0844, 0845, 0871 numbers see a
> caller's number even if it the caller withholds it?

I once setup an 0845 number for free for friends business (Free as in
having the number routed to us was free, the call charges just went to
the company providing the number) and even though some incoming numbers
I knew were Ex-directory, I could see them all on the call logs =/ was
quite worrying
From: David Woolley on
Ross wrote:

> the company providing the number) and even though some incoming numbers
> I knew were Ex-directory, I could see them all on the call logs =/ was
> quite worrying

Ex-directory is not the same as withheld.
From: Denis McMahon on
Ross wrote:
> On 18/11/2009 21:05, niby wrote:
>> Can companies which have 0800, 0844, 0845, 0871 numbers see a
>> caller's number even if it the caller withholds it?
>
> I once setup an 0845 number for free for friends business (Free as in
> having the number routed to us was free, the call charges just went to
> the company providing the number) and even though some incoming numbers
> I knew were Ex-directory, I could see them all on the call logs =/ was
> quite worrying

Being ex-directory has no connection to CLI presentation.

Specifically, the number database ex-directory flag doesn't have any
input to the cli status of the line in the exchange subscriber data.

If you expect that being ex-directory will have any direct bearing on
the presentation of a number to the called party, you have a broken
expectation of what being ex-directory means, and possibly a
misunderstanding of clip presentation as well.

Rgds

Denis McMahon
From: Roger Mills on
Denis McMahon <denis.m.f.mcmahon(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Ross wrote:
>> On 18/11/2009 21:05, niby wrote:
>>> Can companies which have 0800, 0844, 0845, 0871 numbers see a
>>> caller's number even if it the caller withholds it?
>>
>> I once setup an 0845 number for free for friends business (Free as in
>> having the number routed to us was free, the call charges just went
>> to the company providing the number) and even though some incoming
>> numbers I knew were Ex-directory, I could see them all on the call
>> logs =/ was quite worrying
>
> Being ex-directory has no connection to CLI presentation.
>
> Specifically, the number database ex-directory flag doesn't have any
> input to the cli status of the line in the exchange subscriber data.
>
> If you expect that being ex-directory will have any direct bearing on
> the presentation of a number to the called party, you have a broken
> expectation of what being ex-directory means, and possibly a
> misunderstanding of clip presentation as well.
>
> Rgds
>
> Denis McMahon

Very true.

*However*, I have a number of friends who are ex-directory and whose numbers
are automatically withheld - and they claim that they never explicitly asked
for it to be withheld. I suspect that when you apply to go ex-directory, the
default is (or maybe was, in the past) that the number gets withheld. Anyone
care to comment?

Re-phrasing the OP's question, would the owner of an 08xx number expect to
be able to see *withheld* numbers in the call log?
--
Cheers,
Roger

From: Denis McMahon on
Roger Mills wrote:

> *However*, I have a number of friends who are ex-directory and whose numbers
> are automatically withheld - and they claim that they never explicitly asked
> for it to be withheld. I suspect that when you apply to go ex-directory, the
> default is (or maybe was, in the past) that the number gets withheld. Anyone
> care to comment?

Hmm, it may have been the case that when customer controlled cli
presentation was initially implemented, a once-off pass was made against
the subscriber database such that all ex-directory numbers at the time
were initially defaulted to with-held, but I doubt that they'd continue
to do this.

New numbers might get the same handling, or they might not.

> Re-phrasing the OP's question, would the owner of an 08xx number expect to
> be able to see *withheld* numbers in the call log?

I think that it used to be delivered to called party pays numbers on the
basis that if they're paying for the call, they should be able to see
who's calling them. They may also want to route numbers on the callers
"area code".

Possibly they only receive a partial A-number, eg the first 4 .. 6
digits (not counting the leading 0).

Rgds

Denis McMahon