From: SCAdmin on
Trying to get a stupid app to work (WhatsUp) so it can send e-mail alerts
when Event Log stuff happens.

Kept getting Access Denied error, did some testing with WMI test.

Some article I ran across suggested changing the permissions inside Control
Panel / Admin Tools / Component Services. I added myself in there, and
domain admins, and a couple of other accounts I needed to work with all
this.

Long story short -- changing the permissions didn't make any difference. So
I tried to put everything back the way I found it. However, the securtity
tab inside the dcomcnfg.msc would NOT let me put it back to blank, or empty,
or null, or whatever you want to call it, which is how it was when I first
started. So I tried deleting all the accounts. Stupid, I admit, but
certainly no more stupid than whoever designed this stupid interface.

Anyway, now I can't get com services to work on this server. When I open
the dcomconfig snap-in, My Computer has a red down arrow next to it.
Whenever I try to do anything, it says I don't have permission.

I just got finished REINSTALLING WINDOWS SERVER 2003 AND APPLYING THE
SERVICE PACKS. Still no good. (Sorry for the all caps, but I'm getting a
little frustrated here.).

Anyway, how the hell can I uninstall / reinstall com, or get it back to how
it used to be?

Thanks.

From: SCAdmin on
Thanks for the response.

I tried uninstalling COM per the link you provided. No luck. I was able to
delete the reg key and uninstall IIS, WWW, COM+, and Common Files through
add/remove programs. But then when I reinstalled it threw up a nasty error
about sub-component com+ has raised an exception.

The maddening thing is that I cannot get to the properties page of My
Computer within Component Services to add the correct access permissions. I
have tried copying the OLE registry key from a working machine (including
specifically the DefaultAccessBlahBlah key), and that did not work.

I have even tried REINSTALLING Windows 2003 and SP2.

No luck with any of these attempts. Not only is the original problem still
a problem (WhatsUp doesn't work), but now I cannot use Remote Desktop on
this machine, I cannot look at the properties of any services, and I cannot
connect to network shares to or from this machine. It's essentially toast.
But I simply refuse to believe I'm going to have to reformat over this.
This is un-effing-believable.

BTW, I'm not the only idiot. Google "component services red down arrow" or
"component services default access" or several variants of this, you'll find
plenty of hits. And now this one will presumably be added for posterity.

I just can't believe it. I'd call MS Product Support, but I think I'd
rather spend days rebuilding a server from scratch and dealing with all the
fallout from that than suffer the absolute beating of fighting through the
first few levels of support before finding someone who can help.

Thanks for trying to help, though, I appreciate it.

Pages: 1
Prev: NTBackup, Backup Flag
Next: Copy Files through RDP