From: sleepyhead on
Hello

I use outlook for my mail. I tried to upgrade my old computer and
destroyed the MB. I built a new computer (someone else put it together) and
it's windows 7. Our home has both windows 7 and windows xp computers. The
hard drive from the fried computer has some mail on it that I would like to
look at. I tried installing the hard drive on my new computer but the
hardware on the new computer was so much different that xp wouldn't even
load. I tried looking for the mail files on the hard drive but I couldn't
find them. I have outlook installed on these computers. So my question is:

If you have outlook files on a hard drive that isn't your C drive is
there a way of reading them?
From: Barry Watzman on
First of all, you say "Outlook"; I take that literally, e.g. that you
mean "Outlook" and not "Outlook Express". The two are VERY different,
although the names are similar they are totally different programs (the
answer to this question for Outlook Express would be very different,
although recovering your mail would still be possible).

In Outlook, EVERYTHING (all mail, calendar, etc.) is contained in one
single file, whose extension is ".PST" (this is one of the things I
really like about Outlook); so your first task is to find the PST file
containing your mail. It's on the computer somewhere, it may be a
hidden file or in a system folder, but a search should find it. There
may be several PST files (not likely, but definitely possible), if so,
look at the dates and sizes of the files (while there may be several,
only one of them would normally contain your "stuff", unless you have an
unusual situation).

Once you find it, yes, it can be opened by any version of Outlook
compatible with PST file in question (e.g. Outlook 2003 can open an
Outlook 2000 PST file, but Outlook 2000 may or may not be able to open
an Outlook 2003 PST file, depending on what options were set when the
file was created). If you find the PST file, you should be able to
simply use the "file/open" command in Outlook to open it (choose
"Outlook Data File" under "File / Open"].

From: DL on
You wont be able to do that since assuming the pst is located at the default
location you would need to take ownership, then best to copy the pst to the
Documents folder of the new win installation, before then opening it in
Outlook

From: Barry Watzman on
Ownership and rights are separate issues. They might indeed need to be
addressed, but for all we know the partition is FAT32 not NTFS. In
principle what I said was correct, but yes, depending on the specifics,
other steps unrelated to Outlook per se may be necessary.

From: DL on
Doesnt matter whether its fat or ntfs, you will still need to take ownership