From: Daave on
Sounds like a plan. Just make sure all her data is backed up first.
Also, it is a good idea to make a copy of the CD. There is no ethical
problem in doing this; the important thing is that you have a license to
run XP Home, which you clearly do. Good luck!

From: Kernel on
Your 'WinXP Home OEM' will work if you use the key that came with that CD;
it will not work if you use your Home OEM CD
and the key code that came with the Dell.

From: Daave on
Excellent point, Kernel.

In the original post, Ed wrote:

"Could I use another OEM CD from another Dell?"

If *that* is the "WinXP Home OEM" he is now referring to, then there is
no need to enter a Product Key (that is, if it a genuine Dell-branded
Windows XP Home Reinstallation CD).

Then again, if he is now talking about something else (a *generic* OEM
Windows XP Home installation CD), then, yes, he will need to enter the
Product Key on the COA sticker that is on the Dell PC.

Kernel wrote:
> Your 'WinXP Home OEM' will work if you use the key that came with
> that CD; it will not work if you use your Home OEM CD
> and the key code that came with the Dell.
>

> "Ed H" <edandsandy(a)NOSPAMcomcast.net> wrote in message
>> Thanks for the tip to uninstall IE7 first, I didn't know that one.
>> Sorry for the language confusion. My daughter's Dell computer has
>> some corrupt files. This computer did not come with a OS cd or is
>> there one on a partition anywhere. I wanted to use a copy of my
>> WinXP Home OEM cd to first try a repair installation and if that
>> fails, a clean install. We have all the other media.
>>

>> "Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote in message
>>> Are you referring to a Repair Install? If so, this page should be
>>> helpful:
>>>
>>> http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
>>>
>>> And this page is also required reading:
>>>
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917964
>>>
>>> I ask because the term "recovery install" is not the one normally
>>> used and it is unclear what you mean by that. Furthermore, your
>>> Subject Line contains the term "clean install."
>>>
>>> Finally, are you referring to a Dell XP Home reinstallation CD or a
>>> Dell recovery CD (for a specific model)? If you are referring to
>>> the former, it is capable of performing both a Repair Install
>>> (which should keep your apps and data intact) or a Clean Install.
>>>
>>> I am not too familiar with Dell recovery CDs. Typically, they
>>> return the PC to its condition when it left the factory (which
>>> would be like wiping the CD and performing a Clean Install)
>>>
>>> Good luck!
>>>
>>> P.S., What specific issues are you experiencing with this
>>> particular PC? Depending on what they are, there may be a far
>>> quicker solution than a Repair or Clean Install.

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Ghosts?
Next: Can't access files on 2nd Hard Drive