From: Olaf Kaluza on
Michael J. Sch�lke <news(a)mjschuelke.de> wrote:

>I'm quite familiar with several Z80 and 6502-based computers from the
>1980s, as well as (dare I say that here?) TI's Z80-based
>calculators.

So learn about the Saturn now. :-D

http://www.hpmuseum.org/techcpu.htm

>What makes at least parts of the 48G's user interface -- the pop-up
>menus, the TIME screen, the equation library -- so relatively slow?

A 4Bit CPU with 56Bit reg and BCD math optimized for low power. I
remember I compared my old SX many years ago with a Sharp E500. The SX
was much slower when do stupid things like increment a variable, but
this changed completly when do some real math.

Olaf

From: Olaf Kaluza on
Eric Rechlin <eric(a)hpcalc.org> wrote:

>The best choice is to find a third-party replacement for the components that
>you find to be slow.

No. The best thing is to use an 48SX with overclock. With the same
clockspeed than a GX, it feels faster than a GX.

http://www.criseis.ruhr.de/hp48/hp48a.html

Sorry, it is German, but you can read the shematic. I use my 48SX now
for 16-17years with 4Mhz without any problem.

Olaf

From: Eric Rechlin on
"Olaf Kaluza" <olaf(a)criseis.ruhr.de> wrote:
> No. The best thing is to use an 48SX with overclock. With the same
> clockspeed than a GX, it feels faster than a GX.

Well, actually the best thing is to use a 50g if the solution set includes
buying a new calculator, but I'm biased. :)

Regards,

Eric Rechlin

From: Michael J. Schülke on
Olaf Kaluza schrieb:
> A 4Bit CPU with 56Bit reg and BCD math optimized for low power. I
> remember I compared my old SX many years ago with a Sharp E500. The SX
> was much slower when do stupid things like increment a variable, but
> this changed completly when do some real math.

Thanks, I think I'm beginning to understand...

Olaf, your name seems familiar -- is it possible I remember you from
d.s.e or d.a.f.c, a few years back?

Regards,
Michael
From: Olaf Kaluza on
Michael J. Sch�lke <news(a)mjschuelke.de> wrote:

>Olaf, your name seems familiar -- is it possible I remember you from
>d.s.e or d.a.f.c, a few years back?

I remember me from d.s.e today. :-)

Olaf