From: Yann on
> Of all the units I've got (48SX/G/GX, 49g, 50g),
> the 48SX is the one I keep on my desk.

I concurr, the 48SX casing is way better than its competitors,
including its followers.
It is a real pleasure to still use it nearly 20 years later ...

> What makes at least parts of the 48G's user interface -- the pop-up
> menus, the TIME screen, the equation library -- so relatively slow?

Now regarding 48GX slowness : i agree that part of the problem comes
from the fancy window/popup UI system.
It can be a pain to look at the window/field/checkbox forming on the
screen.

So you may have 2 solutions :
1) The most sophisticated one : use SpeedUI, which greatly improves
48GX responsiveness.
However, it comes at a cost, in the form of a pretty large amount of
dedicated memory...
2) The cheap one : remove the window UI system, to get back to the
menu-driven interface of 48SX,
which is much lighter, and therefore much more responsive.
All it needs is a system flag change.

From: rs1n on
On Oct 29, 11:48 am, Yann <kdo4...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > Of all the units I've got (48SX/G/GX, 49g, 50g),
> > the 48SX is the one I keep on my desk.
>
> I concurr, the 48SX casing is way better than its competitors,
> including its followers.
> It is a real pleasure to still use it nearly 20 years later ...
>
> > What makes at least parts of the 48G's user interface -- the pop-up
> > menus, the TIME screen, the equation library -- so relatively slow?
>
> Now regarding 48GX slowness : i agree that part of the problem comes
> from the fancy window/popup UI system.
> It can be a pain to look at the window/field/checkbox forming on the
> screen.
>
> So you may have 2 solutions :
> 1) The most sophisticated one : use SpeedUI, which greatly improves
> 48GX responsiveness.
> However, it comes at a cost, in the form of a pretty large amount of
> dedicated memory...
> 2) The cheap one : remove the window UI system, to get back to the
> menu-driven interface of 48SX,
> which is much lighter, and therefore much more responsive.
> All it needs is a system flag change.

I rarely ever use any of the graphical interfaces. On occasion, I have
used the Equation Library. The Equation Library is not only slow
because it uses a slow GUI, it may also be that its code lies in
covered ROM makes it even slower. As for SpeedUI, you don't need all
of it because most of the speedups are for the GUIs. I personally only
install CF.LIB and UI.LIB (which requires CF.LIB) for the improved
stack and faster editor. For everything else, just use the menu system
instead.
From: greenchile505 on
On Oct 29, 8:48 am, Yann <kdo4...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> 2) The cheap one : remove the window UI system, to get back to the
> menu-driven interface of 48sx,
> which is much lighter, and therefore much more responsive.
> All it needs is a system flag change.

Question:
I recently picked up a 48g. I would like to turn off the Choose Boxes
and turn on Soft Menu only. I know this is Flag -117 on the 50g, and
the 48sx has no Choose Boxes, but how do I switch to Soft Menus on the
48g?

By the way, if you want speed, buy a 50g. If you want to travel back
in time to 1996, hide your laptop and cell phone, turn off the TV, and
spend an hour or two programming your 48s[x] or 48g[x][+]. Good times.

Cheers.

From: Raymond Del Tondo on
"greenchile505" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

>Question:
>I recently picked up a 48g. I would like to turn off the Choose Boxes
>and turn on Soft Menu only. I know this is Flag -117 on the 50g, and
>the 48sx has no Choose Boxes, but how do I switch to Soft Menus on the
>48g?

As a general rule:

rightshift+Key: Choose Boxes
leftshift+Key: Menus

where applicable.

HTH

Raymond

From: John H Meyers on
On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 00:33:08 -0500:

> I recently picked up a 48g.
> I would like to turn off the Choose Boxes and turn on Soft Menu only.
> I know this is Flag -117 on the 50g [which does not exist in 48G].
> How do I switch to Soft Menus on the 48g?

There is nothing to switch.

All 48G menus can appear only as menus.

The green-labeled "app keys"
(1 thru 9, and top-row CHARS, MODES, MEMORY and STACK)
lead, however, to menus when left-shifted,
and to applications (forms) when right-shifted:

http://www.hpcalc.org/hp48/pc/pictures/hp48g2.jpg
http://www.flaterco.com/xtide/x48_and_hptide.PNG
http://images.quebarato.com.br/photos/big/3/3/C3E33_1.jpg

You might find it valuable to download the original
"HP 48G Series User's Guide"
http://www.hpcalc.org/details.php?id=3937
http://www.hpcalc.org/hp48/docs/misc/hp48gug.zip
(Complete copy of the eighth edition of the 48G series instruction manual,
scanned and indexed by Eric Rechlin, with the permission of HP tech support)

> If you want to travel back in time to 1996,
> hide your laptop and cell phone, turn off the TV...

What are all those?

[r->] [OFF]