From: Scott Sauyet on
On Feb 11, 7:03 am, David Mark <dmark.cins...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Jorge wrote:
>> Evertjan wrote:
>>> And if one fully understands, why not write it yourself?
>>
>> I fully understand the way my toaster works, my freezer, the washing
>> machine, [ ... ]
>>
>> So what ???
>
> My thought exactly.

Obviously, the OP would learn most from writing this code and not from
using someone else's version. But the trouble is that this can extend
much further, and it's hard to know where to stop. He would learn
still more by writing his own ECMAScript implementation, and a browser
to house it. But that needs a good operating system to run on, and
he'd learn even more by writing his own OS. Of course a better OS
could use a more sophisticated chip-set... and maybe eventually we
need to look at genetic engineering. :-)

Of course that's facetious [1]. But there is a real point in there.
You not only learn more, but you get the results best fitting your
individual needs by building things yourself. But the learning curve
may be so high that it's not worth the investment of your time. I've
built my own bicycles from parts, but would never try with a car.
Sure I'd lean a lot, but it's simply not worth it to me. When I have
automotive questions that are over my head, I consult with those who
know more about it, friends and acquaintances first; paid experts if
that fails. Asking in cljs, especially for someone who posts here
from time to time, is probably closer to the asking acquaintances end.

Unfortunately, I don't have a good recommendation to make, myself.
I've used several over the years and never found one I liked. But it
was never important enough to me to build my own, either.

>> (*)I don't know how to program a VCR.
>
> A what?

In the days of yore, as you have perhaps heard, video data was not
streamed across networks, but encapsulated on shimmering discs,
called, if legend is correct, deeveedees. But there are stories that
in the days of the Old Gods, before the coming of the DeeVeeDee, video
was available on a sequential access machine featuring spinning
spindles and a lodestone. It is said that these veeceeare machines
could record video transmitted magically through the air, but only the
wisest of sorcerers knew how to instruct these machines. These
sorcerers were known as "geeks", an honorific that survives this day.

-- Scott
____________________
[1] Don't you love the word fAcEtIOUs, with all the vowels in
order? :-)
From: Jorge on
On Feb 11, 1:03 pm, David Mark <dmark.cins...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Jorge wrote:
> > On Feb 11, 11:08 am, "Evertjan." <exjxw.hannivo...(a)interxnl.net>
> > wrote:
> >> And if one fully understands, why not write it yourself?
>
> > I fully understand the way my toaster works,
>
> You may well understand how one works, but you are unlikely to
> manufacture one.
>
> > my freezer,
>
> Same.
>
> > the washing
> > machine, a Scotch Brite , a bicycle, even my car, a C compiler, a
> > truetype font, a JS minifier, a JSON parser, a code128 barcode, the
> > gzip algorithm, base64 encoding, an http server, a serial port, a
> > digital clock, a keyboard, a microprocessor, a switching-mode DC power
> > supply... etc.(*)
>
> There's a well-rounded fellow.
>
> > So what ???
>
> My thought exactly.

That the logic in "if one fully understands" --> "write it yourself"
is broken.
--
Jorge.
From: Jorge on
On Feb 11, 4:23 pm, Scott Sauyet <scott.sau...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 11, 7:03 am, David Mark <dmark.cins...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > Jorge wrote:
>
> >> I fully understand the way my toaster works, my freezer, the washing
> >> machine, [ ... ]
>
> >> So what ???
>
> > My thought exactly.
>
> Obviously, the OP would learn most from writing this code and not from
> using someone else's version.  But the trouble is that this can extend
> much further, and it's hard to know where to stop.  He would learn
> still more by writing his own ECMAScript implementation, and a browser
> to house it.  But that needs a good operating system to run on, and
> he'd learn even more by writing his own OS.  Of course a better OS
> could use a more sophisticated chip-set... and maybe eventually we
> need to look at genetic engineering.  :-)

Exactly.
--
Jorge.
From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
Scott Sauyet wrote:

> David Mark wrote:
>> Jorge wrote:
>>> (*)I don't know how to program a VCR.
>>
>> A what?
>
> In the days of yore, as you have perhaps heard, video data was not
> streamed across networks, but encapsulated on shimmering discs,
> called, if legend is correct, deeveedees. But there are stories that
> in the days of the Old Gods, before the coming of the DeeVeeDee, video
> was available on a sequential access machine featuring spinning
> spindles and a lodestone. It is said that these veeceeare machines
> could record video transmitted magically through the air, but only the
> wisest of sorcerers knew how to instruct these machines. These
> sorcerers were known as "geeks", an honorific that survives this day.
> [...]
> ____________________
> [1] Don't you love the word fAcEtIOUs, with all the vowels in
> order? :-)

YMMD :)

BTW, there is de.alt.netdigest where funny replies like that can be
submitted to for posterity. Is there such a newsgroup in the Big 8, or is
there such an English-speaking newsgroup, too? If yes, what is its name?
TIA.

PointedEars
-- Richard Cornford, cljs, <f806at$ail$1$8300dec7(a)news.demon.co.uk>
From: Jorge on

This: http://www.google.com/search?q=c04647829913b35d
--
Jorge.