From: Alan on
Hello,

Can anyone recommend print control libraries for VB .Net please? I'm
writing an app to print the attachments of mail messages and it's
difficult to handle PDF, Office and any possible graphic file format
via the standard printprocess. Ideally, I'd just like to save the
attachments to disk and and then pass the filenames to a control,
which would popup the standard print dialog or just print.

Thanks,

- Alan.
From: Rich P on
If I am reading your question correctly, you are trying to print the
contents of an email attachment from your .net app -- bypassing having
to open the attachment. If you are reading the contents from your code
you can then place these contents into a .Net report control (rdlc file)
and then use emf to print that out.

Here's a link where you can print using EMF with a .rdlc file:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/microsoft.reporting.winforms.cre
atestreamcallback(VS.80).aspx

Rich

From: Alan on
Thanks Rich.

Yes, I'm saving the attachments to a temp directory, then printing
them out. Problem is that the different potential types need to be
handled differently, e.g, PDF vs Word.

First time I've heard of EMF so I'll check it out...

From: Cor Ligthert[MVP] on
Alan,

You can use Crystal Reports or a 3th party tool.

For your problem I would probably take the Visual Basic powerpack and follow
the Print part of that.
(If it is not PDF otherwise I would probably simple create an application
start with the PDF in it, and then it)

Cor

From: Alan on
Thanks Cor.

Just to be clear, I don't want to display the files or make any
reports. All I want to do is basically pass the filename and get it
printed out, regardless of whether it's a TIF, DOC or XLS file.

PrintForms will handkle that?

If not, can you name any 3rd party components pls? Thanks.