From: Pete Delgado on

"Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer(a)flounder.com> wrote in message
>I have a NUMA machine, and AMD dual-chip dual-core (4-core) system running
>WIn32 (Vista),
> so if you need some tests run, email the code to me.
>
> Remember when he wanted his data allocating in CONTIGUOUS PHYSICAL memory?
> He is really
> clueless about how operating systems work, but won't listen to ANYONE
> whose ideas don't
> match his preconceived notions about how the world should work to maximize
> his
> convenience. EVen if what we're trying to do is explain how reality
> works.

Joe,
The amzing thing to me is the incredible amount of patience you have had
with Mr. Olcott. You have referenced Richter's book which would explain
everything he needs to know in a few short pages and yet he has resisted.
I've been reading this thread with a combination of amusement and
bewilderment. I guess the old adage that "you can lead a horse to water, but
you cannot make him drink" has never been more appropriate. :-)

-Pete

From: Pete Delgado on

"Peter Olcott" <NoSpam(a)OCR4Screen.com> wrote in message

> "Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer(a)flounder.com> wrote in message
>> ****
>> He has NO CLUE as to what a "memory-mapped file" actually is. This last
>> comment indicates
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory-mapped_file
> Apparently I do.

I think you would be far better served by looking at Windows specific
information on memory mapped files such as that which Joe suggested to you
some time ago: Richter's Programming Applications for Microsoft Windows 4th.

-Pete

From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
Or, as we used to say when I was University faculty:

"You can lead a student to knowledge, but you can't make him think"

I got a lot of flack when I gave an examine that required students USE the knowledge I'd
given them for the last two weeks, plus the knowledge they would have gained from doing
the homework assignment. Because they couldn't do a "memory dump" from my PowerPoint
slides, they thought the test "unfair".
joe

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 16:53:51 -0400, "Pete Delgado" <Peter.Delgado(a)NoSpam.com> wrote:

>"Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer(a)flounder.com> wrote in message
>>I have a NUMA machine, and AMD dual-chip dual-core (4-core) system running
>>WIn32 (Vista),
>> so if you need some tests run, email the code to me.
>>
>> Remember when he wanted his data allocating in CONTIGUOUS PHYSICAL memory?
>> He is really
>> clueless about how operating systems work, but won't listen to ANYONE
>> whose ideas don't
>> match his preconceived notions about how the world should work to maximize
>> his
>> convenience. EVen if what we're trying to do is explain how reality
>> works.
>
>Joe,
>The amzing thing to me is the incredible amount of patience you have had
>with Mr. Olcott. You have referenced Richter's book which would explain
>everything he needs to know in a few short pages and yet he has resisted.
>I've been reading this thread with a combination of amusement and
>bewilderment. I guess the old adage that "you can lead a horse to water, but
>you cannot make him drink" has never been more appropriate. :-)
>
>-Pete

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer(a)flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
No, you are the one stuck in "refute mode". I keep insisting that the ONLY way you can
refute what we are saying is by running the actual experiment, and you keep saying, no,
you KNOW that it will fail. Without data, you have no way to validly assert this.
joe

From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
See below...
On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 15:47:46 -0500, "Peter Olcott" <NoSpam(a)OCR4Screen.com> wrote:

>"Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer(a)flounder.com> wrote in
>message news:rnjfq5ls8fpma0kvrc6odhuvqfignso8m5(a)4ax.com...
>> See below...
>> On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 14:40:57 -0500, "Peter Olcott"
>> <NoSpam(a)OCR4Screen.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Try and explain exactly how cache can possibly help when
>>>there is most often essentially no spatial or temporal
>>>locality of reference.
>>>
>> ****
>> While caches work well with locality of reference, that is
>> just a heuristic for predicting
>> cache effects. Locality of reference is not the point;
>> maximizing cache hits is the
>> point. And this can happen, particularly on a shared L3
>> cache, based solely on the cache
>> replacement algorithm. We use locality of reference as
>> the "easy" approach to determining
>> the likelikhood of cache hits, because it is easy to
>> analyze in applications that process
>> regular data like matrices and arrays. But it is not the
>> theoretical optimum approach. If
>> you took the time to understand how caches work this would
>> be obvious to you.
>>
>> Try to explain why you believe this when you have run no
>> experiments that have any
>> meaning. The difference is that I am saying YOU HAVE NO
>> DATA, and you are saying I KNOW
>> WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN, I DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' FACTS.
>> I don't believe you really know
>
>I do have data, and present this data many times and you two
>simply blow it off.
>Two processes take 2.75 times as long as one process. What
>could this mean besides resource contention?
***
An what does a two-process measure tell you about multithreading? NOTHING!

You have a flawed experiment that is generalizing from the wrong premises.

OF COURSE two huge processes are going to have resource contention! And are these running
on a single core or multicore machine? But multiple threads have signficant lower
resource conention, and you ignore this fact and think your two-process model is the
absolute authoritative experiment. I'd never trust data like this, and if I were a
product manager I'd send you back to get real data. You are your own product manager, and
should recognize (give how much we've told you) and you should send yourself back to get
valid data.
joe