From: Hector Santos on
Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:

>> What about FTP? I could do my on-the-fly backup using FTP.
> ***
> OK, and you have now introduced another complex mechanism into the validation of the state
> diagram. How is it that FTP increases the reliability without introducing what I might
> call "gratuitous complexity". Note that your state diagram now has to include the entire
> FTP state diagram as a subcomponent. Have you looked at the FTP state diagram? Especially
> for the new, restartable, FTP protocols?

Actually Joe, I advised him to explore FTP since the beginning of this
vapor project. For him, he would be better off with FTP because:

1) Easier for him to implement sound technology,
2) RESTart protocols are not new,
3) Most clients and servers support RESTart

And the beauty of FTP is that it extended with QUOTE commands which
BTW, the RESTart is a QUOTE command - just one that is BCP (Best
Current Practice). Here are our extended QUOTE commands for our
Wildcat! FTP Server:

G:\local\wc7>ftp ftp.winserver.com
ftp> quote help
214-The following commands are supported:

Standard Wildcat! FTP Quote Commands:

ABOR ACCT ALLO APPE AUTH CDUP
CLNT CWD DELE FEAT HELP LIST
MDTM MLSD MLST MODE NLST NOOP
OPTS PASS PASV PBSZ PORT PROT
PWD QUIT REIN REST RETR RNFR
RNTO SIZE STAT STOR STRU SYST
TYPE USER

Extended Wildcat! FTP Quote Commands:

FDTM - Set File date/time prior to upload.
FPWD - Set File Password prior to download/upload.
FDSC - Set File Description prior to upload.
LDSC - Set File Long Description prior to upload.
This sets one line at time, so multiple calls
will be required to set each line.
LCLR - Clear File Long Description prior to upload.
DFMT - Set MSDOS or UNIX style listing.
INFO - Show Detail File Information.
XOPT - Set/Unset FTP server options.
LZDC - Limit file listing/downloads with zero downloads.
PFID - Set the User ID value for private file uploads.

214 HELP command successful.
ftp>

Most top FTP servers also give him private user bins so that the
uploads/downloads don't conflict. And this can all be done for
authenticated, subscription based systems.

What he needs to do is right a special client, a frontend, for what is
basically a turnkey product. One design, no worry about open market
client compatibility issues and will have full control of the state
machine.

That is NORMAL technology for most. Peter will not be able to handle
these design requirements unless he gets it out of the box.

--
HLS
From: Hector Santos on
Pete Delgado wrote:

> "Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer(a)flounder.com> wrote in message
>
> Joe... the responses by Hector on April 1st appear to be jokes... :-)
>
> -Pete

I just got back from an Orlando weekend trip and I see the joke
continues. :)

--
HLS
From: Hector Santos on
Peter Olcott wrote:

> If FTP is not reliable, then I am done considering FTP. If
> FTP is reliable then it might possibly form a way for
> transaction by transaction offsite backup.

As I told you long ago, FTP is probably your best option because you
won't have reinvent the wheel and since you lack problem solving and
programming capabilities, your best hope is to get a canned solutions
that already had the features you seek.

--
HLS
From: Hector Santos on
Peter Olcott wrote:

> Sure right everyone knows that it is very easy to pay the
> 50-100% (per anum) rate of return that venture vultures want
> from the remaining 3% ownership of the company. I am sure
> that this happens hundreds of times every day.

If that is what you were told that you had to pay them, then they saw
you coming from 100 miles away and basically wanted to politely scare
you away. Taking $15 grand from you for a worthless patent can make
even the worst people feel guilty, especially over the holidays and
need to face family.

--
HLS
From: Peter Olcott on

"Hector Santos" <sant9442(a)nospam.gmail.com> wrote in message
> Peter Olcott wrote:
>
>> Sure right everyone knows that it is very easy to pay the
>> 50-100% (per anum) rate of return that venture vultures
>> want from the remaining 3% ownership of the company. I am
>> sure that this happens hundreds of times every day.
>

> If that is what you were told that you had to pay them,
> then they saw you coming from 100 miles away and basically
> wanted to politely scare you away. Taking $15 grand from
> you for a worthless patent can make even the worst people
> feel guilty, especially over the holidays and need to face
> family.
>
> --
> HLS

Your ignorance of venture capital (not HTTP protocol) is
astounding!