From: James Taylor on
Hi,

I have discovered what I believe to be spoofed TCP reset packets being
injected into the stream to kill some large downloads I am trying to
make. I know the RST packets didn't come from the server I am
downloading from because I can see normal data-bearing packets arriving
after the RST packets and with later sequence numbers. It is probably
some half-wit attempt by the ISP to limit my downloads.

The problem is that when my computer receives the RST packets the
connection breaks and the download stops. If I could get my computer to
ignore these RSTs then I believe the connection would continue and my
downloads would complete.

Is there any way that I can use iptables to filter these RST packets
from a specific set of IP addresses corresponding to the servers in
question? A quick dip in the iptables man page has rather overwhelmed me
with the learning curve required, but also encouraged me when I saw
there was a --tcp-flags option.

Can anyone help me by showing me how to form a complete iptables command
line to block the RST packets?

--
James Taylor
From: Tony on
In uk.comp.os.linux, James Taylor <usenet(a)oakseed.demon.co.uk.invalid>
wrote:

>Can anyone help me by showing me how to form a complete iptables command
>line to block the RST packets?

http://tuxtraining.com/2008/06/21/beating-sandvine-on-linux-with-iptables

If whoever is doing it, is doing it 'right' though, then you're in trouble
because they'll be sending RST's to both ends of the connection, as far as
I understand it.

Slashdot discussion,
http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/06/30/0249249

--
Tony Evans
Saving trees and wasting electrons since 1993
From: Graham Murray on
James Taylor <usenet(a)oakseed.demon.co.uk.invalid> writes:

> I have discovered what I believe to be spoofed TCP reset packets being
> injected into the stream to kill some large downloads I am trying to
> make. I know the RST packets didn't come from the server I am
> downloading from because I can see normal data-bearing packets
> arriving after the RST packets and with later sequence numbers. It is
> probably some half-wit attempt by the ISP to limit my downloads.

Is it possible that by spoofing the IP address of the server you are
connected to that whoever is doing this is contravening the Computer
Misuse Act or some other legislation?
From: James Taylor on
Graham Murray wrote:

> James Taylor writes:
>
>> I have discovered what I believe to be spoofed TCP reset packets being
>> injected into the stream to kill some large downloads I am trying to
>> make. I know the RST packets didn't come from the server I am
>> downloading from because I can see normal data-bearing packets
>> arriving after the RST packets and with later sequence numbers. It is
>> probably some half-wit attempt by the ISP to limit my downloads.
>
> Is it possible that by spoofing the IP address of the server you are
> connected to that whoever is doing this is contravening the Computer
> Misuse Act or some other legislation?

I wish I knew enough about the law on this kind of thing because it is
appealing to think that I could throw the book at them. However, I
suspect that the ISP are within their rights to manage and balance data
flow across their network in line with the goal of providing reasonable
service to all users. To that end I could accept a degree of bandwidth
throttling. What I object to is having connections terminated entirely.

--
James Taylor
From: James Taylor on
Tony wrote:

> <iptables command> -p tcp --dport 36745 --tcp-flags RST RST -j DROP;
>
> What I'm not 100% sure about is whether it's an iptables -A INPUT, or
> iptables -I FORWARD, I've seen various options and without going and
> checking the manual myself, I'm not sure which to use. But that's the only
> command you need (where 36745 is the port you're doing the transfer over)

Ok, thanks. I'll check those options and get my head around it.

--
James Taylor
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6