From: Tony Houghton on
In <pan.2010.02.15.12.53.40.411515(a)nospam.zen.uk>,
R. Georgeson <rmg(a)nospam.zen.uk> wrote:

> I'm trying to compile a driver for an RT73 wireless dongle on a machine
> running Debian 5.04. 'No rule to make target modules' and 'modules' isn't
> mentioned elsewhere.
>
> Am I being stupid, it should be defined somewhere shouldn't it?
>
> I suspect there will be the same problem with 'modules_install'.

Why do you need to compile it? It looks as if the binary driver is
available in the repositories. If you've backported a newer kernel from
unstable or something try:

module-assistant a-i rt73

Otherwise I think you need to give more information about the provenance
of the source code (kernel and rt73 driver) you're using and how you're
trying to compile it.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk
From: unruh on
On 2010-02-15, R. Georgeson <rmg(a)nospam.zen.uk> wrote:
> I'm trying to compile a driver for an RT73 wireless dongle on a machine
> running Debian 5.04. 'No rule to make target modules' and 'modules' isn't
> mentioned elsewhere.

Did you run "configure" first? Did you look in the Makefile to see what
it does have a target for? Did you try just doing
make?

> Am I being stupid, it should be defined somewhere shouldn't it?
Why?

> I suspect there will be the same problem with 'modules_install'.

I think you are confusing the compiling of this specific module with the
rules when you compile the KERNEL for compiling all the modules in the
kernel.

From: unruh on
On 2010-02-15, R. Georgeson <rmg(a)nospam.zen.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 17:58:53 +0000, unruh wrote:
>
>> On 2010-02-15, R. Georgeson <rmg(a)nospam.zen.uk> wrote:
>>> I'm trying to compile a driver for an RT73 wireless dongle on a machine
>>> running Debian 5.04. 'No rule to make target modules' and 'modules'
>>> isn't mentioned elsewhere.
>>
>> Did you run "configure" first? Did you look in the Makefile to see what it
>> does have a target for? Did you try just doing make?
>
> The instructions say you only need to run configure for 2.4 kernels;
> actually I tried it and it barfed. I think on reflection it's telling me
> it's expecting to see the kernel source. Hmm

Did you install the kernel developement source? I do not know how debian
does it, but you need the various headers and config for the kernel.

From: unruh on
On 2010-02-16, R. Georgeson <rmg(a)nospam.zen.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 05:05:45 +0000, unruh wrote:

>>> The instructions say you only need to run configure for 2.4 kernels;
>>> actually I tried it and it barfed. I think on reflection it's telling me
>>> it's expecting to see the kernel source. Hmm
>>
>> Did you install the kernel developement source? I do not know how debian
>> does it, but you need the various headers and config for the kernel.
>>

> I didn't. Does this mean the kernel has to be recompiled whenever it's
> updated, I could do without that, this machine is going to be at a remote
> site to which I have limited and occasional access.

No it does not. But you need the headers and you need the configuration
to compile a module. In Mandriva you install kernel-devel which includes
the required files. In Debian I do not know, but someone here will

> The Wireless-HOWTO says you need to recompile but it looks years out of
> date; I was hoping just to produce a module which could be inserted into
> stock kernels.

modules are intimately related to the kernel, and you cannot compile a
"generic" module that works in all kernels ( well maybe you can
sometimes but it is not easy)

From: unruh on
On 2010-02-16, R. Georgeson <rmg(a)nospam.zen.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 15:17:21 +0000, Tony Houghton wrote:
>
>> In <pan.2010.02.15.12.53.40.411515(a)nospam.zen.uk>, R. Georgeson
>> <rmg(a)nospam.zen.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm trying to compile a driver for an RT73 wireless dongle on a machine
>>> running Debian 5.04. 'No rule to make target modules' and 'modules'
>>> isn't mentioned elsewhere.
>>>
>>> Am I being stupid, it should be defined somewhere shouldn't it?
>>>
>>> I suspect there will be the same problem with 'modules_install'.
>>
>> Why do you need to compile it? It looks as if the binary driver is
>> available in the repositories.
>
> Blowed if I can find it. Can you give me a pointer?

locate rt73
On my system it is called rt73usb
/lib/modules/2.6.29.6-desktop-2mnb/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt73usb.ko.gz

or
/lib/modules/2.6.24.7-desktop-3mnb/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt73usb.ko.gz
for example.
Try modprobe rt73usb
on your system.

> If you've backported a newer kernel from
>> unstable or something try:
>>
>> module-assistant a-i rt73
>>
>> Otherwise I think you need to give more information about the provenance
>> of the source code (kernel and rt73 driver) you're using and how you're
>> trying to compile it.
>
> Kernel is stock 2.6.26-2 from the installation disc, driver came as source
> code on CD with the device though I have since downloaded the same thing
> with a later date. I'm following the instructions on the tin which say to
> start with 'make all'.

What tin? If you are following the instructions to making the kernel,
then ok. Why you would want to I do not know.