From: Diane Walker on
I tried to connect to the Windows XP by using Remote Desktop and got the
error message "This computer can't connect to Remote Computer." I used to
be able to Remote Desktop to this computer. Do you have any suggestions on
how to fix this problem.

Thanks.

Diane

From: Sooner Al [MVP] on
"Diane Walker" <ett9300(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I tried to connect to the Windows XP by using Remote Desktop and got the
>error message "This computer can't connect to Remote Computer." I used to
>be able to Remote Desktop to this computer. Do you have any suggestions on
>how to fix this problem.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Diane

Is this a standalone desktop PC?

Can you ping the PC?

Is Remote Desktop enabled on the PC?

Is a Remote Desktop exception enabled in the windows firewall on the PC?

How are you trying to connect, ie. over a LAN or the public internet?

General troubleshooting help for standalone XP Remote Desktop connections...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/RemoteDesktopSetupandTroubleshooting.html#Troubleshooting

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...

From: Diane Walker on
Thanks very much for your prompt response and information.

The XP computer is a computer in the Domain. I can ping the PC. Remote
Desktop is enabled on the PC. A Remote Desktop exception is enabled in the
Windows Firewall on the PC. I also tried to disable the Windows Firewall
and still could not connect by Remote Desktop. I tried to connect over the
LAN. Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks.

From: Sooner Al [MVP] on
> Thanks very much for your prompt response and information.
>
> The XP computer is a computer in the Domain. I can ping the PC. Remote
> Desktop is enabled on the PC. A Remote Desktop exception is enabled in
> the Windows Firewall on the PC. I also tried to disable the Windows
> Firewall and still could not connect by Remote Desktop. I tried to
> connect over the LAN. Do you have any other suggestions?
>
> Thanks.

Diane,

Is the PC actually listening on TCP Port 3389? Run a "netstat -a" command to
see. Beyond that I am not a TS/Domain kind of guy so I am going to stand
back and let the TS/Domain folks chime in since I don't support those type
issues.

From: Diane Walker on
Thanks for your prompt response and information again. Port 3389 is open.

> "Diane Walker" <ett9300(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks very much for your prompt response and information.
>>
>> The XP computer is a computer in the Domain. I can ping the PC. Remote
>> Desktop is enabled on the PC. A Remote Desktop exception is enabled in
>> the Windows Firewall on the PC. I also tried to disable the Windows
>> Firewall and still could not connect by Remote Desktop. I tried to
>> connect over the LAN. Do you have any other suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> Diane,
>
> Is the PC actually listening on TCP Port 3389? Run a "netstat -a" command
> to see. Beyond that I am not a TS/Domain kind of guy so I am going to
> stand back and let the TS/Domain folks chime in since I don't support
> those type issues.
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> mutual benefit of all of us...
> rights...

Pages: 1
Prev: Sessions
Next: UserOverride in Windows Server 2003