From: Paul on
Andrew Stucken wrote:
> Thanks Jose - I meanwhile ran western dsigital diagnostics for my hard disk
> and got the message "Drive Not Ready Error Status Code 0104" . the comouter
> repair guy said "the hard disk is broken get a new one". is he right?

Error codes are listed here.

http://support.wdc.com/techinfo/general/errorcodes.asp

"104 Drive Not Ready

The drive did not properly respond to test commands.
This may be due to a defect with the drive or the drive
may not have responded properly due to a bad connection.
Check cabling and retest. Replace the drive if the error
repeats.

The thing is, if the drive truly wasn't ready, the diagnostic would not have
found it in the first place. (A drive will fail to be detected,
if it doesn't start up successfully. A lot of things have to work,
before the drive will even acknowledge the outside world.)

The test program issued a command and the drive did not respond
in the proper way. If could be a cabling problem. Or it could be
the drive hanging up, on the very first command issued to it.

Check to see if the test program generates a "log file". Perhaps
you can tell from the sequence of tests performed, what is happening,
and determine the problem by its context.

Paul

> "Jose" wrote:
>
>> On May 18, 10:43 am, Andrew Stucken
>> <AndrewStuc...(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>> Thanks for the replies so far.
>>>
>>> A little feedback: I ran checkisk /r but it never completed the check - got
>>> as far as 75%.
>>>
>>> Meanhile after disabling automatic restart I get the "Blue Screen opf Death"
>>> with the following error message: "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" and Technical
>>> Information:
>>>
>>> STOP: 0x000000ED (0x8A553030), 0xC0000006, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
>>>
>>> Does this still mean that I need the registry fix?
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>
>>> Andrew

>> There - now you know something with your BSOD.
>>
>> The registry fix will not help you at all and it is not appropriate
>> for the problem you describe.
>>
>> You need to be patient with chkdsk /r. It could take a long time and
>> appear to hang or even appear to go backwards in percentage. You need
>> to wait it out.
>>
>> The chkdsk /r will finish - or if it cannot finish, it will abort and
>> complain about something.
>>
>> It doesn't make sense to do anything else until chkdsk /r finishes
>> siccessfully, but you can sure try things if you want.
>>
>> .

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: Trial Message
Next: advantages of Internet Explorer 8 ?