From: Andrew Stucken Andrew on
I cannot boot into Windows XP.

I get as far as the screen which offers various startup options such as Safe
Mode etc. It then keep going round in circles - returning to the beginning,
the BIOS initiating, but never as far as Windows loading.

I don't understand how this happened - the issue arise after I tried to burn
a picture to CD, and the process got stuck. I think that I removed the CD
prematurely.

How can I get Windows to boot? It seems from using Recovery Console commands
that there is no master boot record.
From: Db on
it sounds like "boot
looping"

you will need to use
or borrow a xp install
cd and boot with it.

then select repair and
launch the recovery console.

then at the disk prompt
type the following commands>:

chkdsk /r
fixboot

then exit, remove cd and
try to boot the hard drive
again.

incidentally, sometimes
the message about the
boot sector pops up.

in which case follow the
steps above and use the
fixmbr command.

From: Michael on
"Andrew Stucken" <Andrew Stucken(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I cannot boot into Windows XP.
>
> I get as far as the screen which offers various startup options such as
> Safe
> Mode etc. It then keep going round in circles - returning to the
> beginning,
> the BIOS initiating, but never as far as Windows loading.
>
> I don't understand how this happened - the issue arise after I tried to
> burn
> a picture to CD, and the process got stuck. I think that I removed the CD
> prematurely.
>
> How can I get Windows to boot? It seems from using Recovery Console
> commands
> that there is no master boot record.

Did you happen to shut it down while updates were being installed? If
you're sure the MBR is screwed open a command prompt and type "fixmbr."
--

"Don't pick a fight with an old man.

From: Jose on
On May 17, 2:17 pm, Andrew Stucken <Andrew
Stuc...(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I cannot boot into Windows XP.
>
> I get as far as the screen which offers various startup options such as Safe
> Mode etc. It then keep going round in circles - returning to the beginning,
> the BIOS initiating, but never as far as Windows loading.
>
> I don't understand how this happened - the issue arise after I tried to burn
> a picture to CD, and the process got stuck. I think that I removed the CD
> prematurely.
>
> How can I get Windows to boot? It seems from using Recovery Console commands
> that there is no master boot record.

If your system is having some fatal error, it is probably telling you
the reason but Windows is restarting before you can see it. That is
the default Windows system behavior - if the boot fails, keep trying
to boot.

From the F8 boot options menu you should choose:

Disable automatic restart on system failure

Choosing to disable automatic restart on system failure will stop the
process when the error occurs and display an informative message from
which you will be able to determine the problem and then fix it.

Depending on the nature of the problem, you will see the same cycle
even if you try to boot in Safe Mode.

You do not need to use or borrow an XP installation CD to boot into
Recovery Console. You can make your own bootable XP Recovery Console
CD if you follow these fine directions:

From there you can run chkdsk /r if desired.

If you don't know what the problem is, I suppose you could just start
trying things.

From: Anonamoose on
This is often the sign of a failing power supply.
If you have any kind of boot CD and cannot boot your computer from the CD it
is most likely the power supply.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: Trial Message
Next: advantages of Internet Explorer 8 ?