From: Paul on
Julia Hopkins wrote:
> I can't get my Windows XP SP3 PC to recognise my Canon SX120 IS digital
> camera via the USB port. My PC recognises other devices via the same USB
> port. The camera is recognised by other Windows XP SP3 PC's using the same
> USB cable. Any ideas, anybody?

Page 139 of the manual says:

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/9/0300002409/04/PSSX120IS_CUG_EN_02.pdf

"Communications Settings MTP,PTP"

There are a couple protocols for operating a device like that.
USB Mass Storage is frequently used for a lot of storage devices.
When a camera uses such a mode, generally the idea would be, the
camera stops accessing the flash memory, and the PC takes over. Such
a camera would perhaps show a storage volume in the file explorer.

MTP started as a proprietary protocol, which are supposed to support
multiple access. The camera can access the storage at the same
time as the computer.

The difference would be, MTP may not be supported by default.
At one time, the MTP driver was part of a WMP (Windows Media Player)
download. I can't see a reference to the "Runtime", and in any
case, if you had something like that installed, it might effectively
be the same as installing the WMP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Transfer_Protocol

"On Microsoft Windows, MTP is supported in Microsoft Windows XP
if Windows Media Player 10 or later versions are installed."

"Windows XP supports MTP if Windows Media Player 10 or 11 (or
the Windows Media 11 Runtime) is installed."

MTP also supports digital rights management, which doesn't make
too much sense in this case. Perhaps MTP would prevent an object
protected by DRM, from being copied back into the camera memory.

That's just a suggestion of a solution. Maybe the software that
comes with the camera, has MTP support. Or maybe the specification
in the manual is incomplete.

I don't expect any of that would prevent the camera from establishing
a USB connection. You could view the device when present, using
UVCView from Microsoft. Or perhaps Device Manager would show
a new entry, with a question mark showing if the necessary support
for the camera wasn't present. To view Device Manager, you can
go to Start : Run and enter devmgmt.msc as the program to run.
That's a reasonably quick way to get to Device Manager.

I can see a reference here, to seeing a "Portable Devices" entry in
Device Manager, if an MTP device was present.

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/42

HTH,
Paul
From: Billns on
On 6/29/2010 4:25 AM, Julia Hopkins wrote:
> I can't get my Windows XP SP3 PC to recognise my Canon SX120 IS digital
> camera via the USB port. My PC recognises other devices via the same USB
> port. The camera is recognised by other Windows XP SP3 PC's using the same
> USB cable. Any ideas, anybody?

If your computer has memory card slots try removing the memory card from
the camera and inserting it into the proper slot.

I had the opposite problem for a while - the computer recognized the
Canon camera but not the memory card.

Perhaps a call to Canon is in order.

Bill
From: John John - MVP on
Is the Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) service running?

John