From: Julia Hopkins on
Many thanks

The camera did come with software, which I have tried un-installing and
re-installing without success. The software does appear to be optional - it
says-so in the manual, and the camera is recognised by a different PC that
doesn't have the software installed. So I am more suspicious of the Windows
drivers (twain.dll / twain_32.dll) than of the Canon software, or perhaps the
Registry settings, but not really sure what to try next

Canon Tech Support have said that as the camera is recognised by another PC
then the problem must be with Windows

Julia

From: Julia Hopkins on
Many thanks

The camera did come with software, which I have installed / un-installed /
re-insalled without resolving the issue. The Canon downloads site indicates
that the software is optional, as the camera should be recognised by Windows
XP SP3 regardless of whether the Canon software is loaded or not - this does
indeed appear to be true, as the camera is recognised by another PC running
Windows XP SP3 but without the Canon software. So it is the Windows drivers
and / or Windows registry settings that I am suspicious of, but not sure how
to proceed from here with the diagnosis and resolution

Julia

From: David Webb on
If what they say is true, then Windows XP must have the driver(s) necessary for
this device. If that's the case, simply connect the camera to your PC via its
USB port then go to Control Panel > Add Hardware and see if it will install
anything for it.

From: Julia Hopkins on
Thanks

I agree - Windows XP must have the drivers - but for whatever reason it
doesn't seem to be using them when the camera is connected. I tried adding
the drivers in the way that you suggest, but there is no option for Canon
camera drivers there (although other makes are shown), presumably because
they make use of the drivers that do / should come ready-supplied with
Windows. A friend has suggested to me that these are twain.dll or
twain_32.dll, and that it might be a registry setting that is stopping the
camera from utlising them?

Julia

From: David Webb on
I don't know about any twain issues. I didn't find any reference to them in my
Canon program installation files (ini files).

I have a Canon A620 and the software supplied installed ZoomBrowser 5.6. The
readme files for the Canon apps state that ZoomBrowser installs the Canon camera
files. Based on this info, I don't see your problem as a Windows issue, in fact
I don't even see how my camera would be recognized by Win XP without this
software installed. Without this software I would have to remove the memory card
from the camera and place it in the media receptacle in my Epson printer. It
would then show up in Explorer as a flash card with images.

I would still pursue the Canon software installation. Make sure you have the
correct and latest version and be sure to install the complete suite.

Good luck.