From: coolguy1541 on

So I have windows xp media center and I've had it for awhile and I want
to reformat it, long story short, just to iron out some bugs that have
accumulated over the years (yes I've tried other fixes already). But
I'm scared to death it's not going to recognize my sata HD and I don't
have a diskette drive and I think I would have problems slip streaming
it b/c 1. I couldn't find the drivers on the manufact. website and 2.
the first dvd recovery disk is full so I'm not sure how that would work
if I went ahead and slip streamed up to sp2 or something hoping it would
have the drivers, but anyway.....I spent hours researching this problem
and my question IS - If I made this recovery disk from my current
computer and it still has the same HD in it, wouldn't it have the driver
for it? B/c I was fishing around on the disk and it looks like it has a
driver for my lightscribe cd burner and video card. But I just thought
with all these people on the internet having this problem that they all
wouldn't have been people who upgraded their hd. Anyway any help is
mucho appreciated

--
coolguy1541
coolguy1541's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/238253.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

From: coolguy1541 on

btw, I am using a compaq desktop with AMD athlon64 processor 3500
(running 32bit windows MSE SP3) with 2 gig ram the hard drive is a
Western digital 250gig SATA HD - WD2500JS-60MHB1.

I did look for some of those bios changes you can make such as changing
sata controller from AAHCI to ATA, and doing IDE emulation, but the only
thing I saw in my BIOS that resembled any of that was something like an
option that said SATA - and it just said compatible I think next to it.

From: John John - MVP on
coolguy1541 wrote:
> So I have windows xp media center and I've had it for awhile and I want
> to reformat it, long story short, just to iron out some bugs that have
> accumulated over the years (yes I've tried other fixes already). But
> I'm scared to death it's not going to recognize my sata HD and I don't
> have a diskette drive and I think I would have problems slip streaming
> it b/c 1. I couldn't find the drivers on the manufact. website and 2.
> the first dvd recovery disk is full...

If the machine came with a DVD *Recovery* disk then all the necessary
drivers should be on the recovery DVD, the DVD should return the
computer to factory condition where all the drivers are installed and
all the original hardware is working properly, there should be no need
for you to hunt for the original drivers. You could test this with a
spare hard drive.

John
From: Daave on
coolguy1541 wrote:
> So I have windows xp media center and I've had it for awhile and I
> want to reformat it, long story short, just to iron out some bugs
> that have accumulated over the years (yes I've tried other fixes
> already). But I'm scared to death it's not going to recognize my
> sata HD and I don't have a diskette drive and I think I would have
> problems slip streaming it b/c 1. I couldn't find the drivers on the
> manufact. website and 2. the first dvd recovery disk is full so I'm
> not sure how that would work if I went ahead and slip streamed up to
> sp2 or something hoping it would have the drivers, but anyway.....I
> spent hours researching this problem and my question IS - If I made
> this recovery disk from my current computer and it still has the same
> HD in it, wouldn't it have the driver for it? B/c I was fishing
> around on the disk and it looks like it has a driver for my
> lightscribe cd burner and video card. But I just thought with all
> these people on the internet having this problem that they all
> wouldn't have been people who upgraded their hd. Anyway any help is
> mucho appreciated

What does the following mean:

"the first dvd recovery disk is full"

From: Mark Adams on

"coolguy1541" wrote:

> So I have windows xp media center and I've had it for awhile and I want
> to reformat it, long story short, just to iron out some bugs that have
> accumulated over the years (yes I've tried other fixes already). But
> I'm scared to death it's not going to recognize my sata HD and I don't
> have a diskette drive and I think I would have problems slip streaming
> it b/c 1. I couldn't find the drivers on the manufact. website and 2.
> the first dvd recovery disk is full so I'm not sure how that would work
> if I went ahead and slip streamed up to sp2 or something hoping it would
> have the drivers, but anyway.....I spent hours researching this problem
> and my question IS - If I made this recovery disk from my current
> computer and it still has the same HD in it, wouldn't it have the driver
> for it? B/c I was fishing around on the disk and it looks like it has a
> driver for my lightscribe cd burner and video card. But I just thought
> with all these people on the internet having this problem that they all
> wouldn't have been people who upgraded their hd. Anyway any help is
> mucho appreciated
>

> --
> coolguy1541
> coolguy1541's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/238253.htm
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-xp-support/1349663.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in
>
> .

Recovery disks return the machine to "as shipped" condition. All the drivers
should be there for the hardware that was there when the machine was shipped.
For any hardware that you have added later, YOU will need to get drivers for.
Windows will be pre-activated, you won't need to do that. You will need to
get all of the Windows updates from Microsoft that have been released since
the machine was made. There may be updated drivers available as well, from
the manufacturer of the computer.

You cannot slipstream a recovery disk; only install disks. Recovery disks
and install disks are not the same thing. You said you are considering making
the recovery disks from this computer. That implies that the machine has a
recovery partition already on the hard drive, from which you make the disks.
You can use the recovery partition to to "wipe and reload" as you plan,
without making the recovery disks. Check your owner's manual for instructions
about how to invoke this process. This is usually started by pressing one of
the function keys right at startup. (read the manual)

Still a good idea to make the recovery disk set, however. If your hard drive
fails, it takes the recovery partition with it. If you haven't made the
disks, you're SOL. If you have, you replace the drive with any drive you
choose, and reinstall your system from the disks. That's what they are for,
to recover your system if your hard drive fails.

Keep in mind that this is a "destructive" recovery, and all software
installed and data saved to the machine since it was new, will be lost. Make
sure you save your data, emails, address book, and browser favorites to
external media and have all of the reinstallation media for your software
before you do this.