From: SC Tom on

"Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote in message
> coolguy1541 wrote:
>> So I have windows xp media center and I've had it for awhile and I
>> want to reformat it, long story short, just to iron out some bugs
>> that have accumulated over the years (yes I've tried other fixes
>> already). But I'm scared to death it's not going to recognize my
>> sata HD and I don't have a diskette drive and I think I would have
>> problems slip streaming it b/c 1. I couldn't find the drivers on the
>> manufact. website and 2. the first dvd recovery disk is full so I'm
>> not sure how that would work if I went ahead and slip streamed up to
>> sp2 or something hoping it would have the drivers, but anyway.....I
>> spent hours researching this problem and my question IS - If I made
>> this recovery disk from my current computer and it still has the same
>> HD in it, wouldn't it have the driver for it? B/c I was fishing
>> around on the disk and it looks like it has a driver for my
>> lightscribe cd burner and video card. But I just thought with all
>> these people on the internet having this problem that they all
>> wouldn't have been people who upgraded their hd. Anyway any help is
>> mucho appreciated
>
> What does the following mean:
>
> "the first dvd recovery disk is full"

I think what he's saying is that since the DVD is full, he won't be able to
slipstream that DVD with SP3 since there wouldn't be room on a new DVD for
both.
It may just be the My Computer is showing it as having no free space, not
that it's truly maxed out.
--
SC Tom

From: kraut on
On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 08:06:21 -0500, coolguy1541
<coolguy1541.4dbm5b(a)DoNotSpam.com> wrote:

>So I have windows xp media center and I've had it for awhile and I want
>to reformat it, long story short, just to iron out some bugs that have
>accumulated over the years (yes I've tried other fixes already). But
>I'm scared to death it's not going to recognize my sata HD and I don't
>have a diskette drive and I think I would have problems slip streaming
>it b/c 1. I couldn't find the drivers on the manufact. website and 2.
>the first dvd recovery disk is full so I'm not sure how that would work
>if I went ahead and slip streamed up to sp2 or something hoping it would
>have the drivers, but anyway.....I spent hours researching this problem
>and my question IS - If I made this recovery disk from my current
>computer and it still has the same HD in it, wouldn't it have the driver
>for it? B/c I was fishing around on the disk and it looks like it has a
>driver for my lightscribe cd burner and video card. But I just thought
>with all these people on the internet having this problem that they all
>wouldn't have been people who upgraded their hd. Anyway any help is
>mucho appreciated

Why are you worried about the sata HD?? Is it the same one that came
with the system or is it a different one?? Is that why you are
worried about the drivers for it??

From: coolguy1541 on

It didn't come with a DVD, it allowed you to burn one, which I did right
after I got it.

What i mean by the first recovery disk is full is that I was reading
about slip streaming sp2 (which I heard has a lot of drivers on it) just
in case I ran into problems, but the recovery disk I made is 2 disks and
so I wasn't sure how that would work, adding data to the recovery disc
without going over the maximum amount of data you can add to the first
DVD. I've never used nLight before so I didn't know if it would be able
to work around that.

--
coolguy1541
coolguy1541's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/238253.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

From: Daave on
coolguy1541 wrote:
> It didn't come with a DVD, it allowed you to burn one, which I did
> right after I got it.
>
> What i mean by the first recovery disk is full is that I was reading
> about slip streaming sp2 (which I heard has a lot of drivers on it)
> just in case I ran into problems, but the recovery disk I made is 2
> disks and so I wasn't sure how that would work, adding data to the
> recovery disc without going over the maximum amount of data you can
> add to the first DVD. I've never used nLight before so I didn't know
> if it would be able to work around that.

You can only use the slipstream method with XP installation CDs, not PC
recovery DVDs.

Since you have the requisite two recovery DVDs, simply restore. All the
drivers you need are included. You will need to reinstall other drivers
for other hardware (like printers) and your service packs, etc. But
you'll be fine. :-)

If your SP level is at SP1, you don't need to install SP2. Simply
install SP3. If you need guidance, we'll be happy to provide it.

From: coolguy1541 on

Wow thanks for all the help this is awesome, I've never reformatted a
cpu before so I'm new to all of this. This makes a lot of sense now, I
have recovery disks, therefore, I shouldn't get the SATA HD error. I
also think I will use the recovery partition first and if that doesn't
work i'll use the recovery disks. I still have the original HD but I
added a second internal HD just for data storage, doing the recovery it
shouldn't touch that HD right? I would assume it wouldn't, especially
not by default but thought it was worth asking. I backup important
stuff on a 3rd HD btw too

And I know this is a last resort extreme thing to do. But does this
usually go as planned? My cpu doesn't have any viruses or anything just
a little slower, ect. and I want to clean it up and eventually do a dual
boot with ubuntu. It just makes me nervous using this ancient Microsoft
utility...Thanks again for all the help