From: noel888 on
I have quite a few, maybe 30 icons that always appear on my desktop
whenever I boot up. Now, I know that some get loaded up each time I
start the computer, so i uncheck the boxes in the msconfig/start
routine. Most of them do not even appear in the startup of msconfig.
I thought by renaming desktop folder to shortcuts, they would not
appear in the desktop. After doing that, i reboot and the desktop info
still appears. BTW, some of those icons, in fact most of them are text
files. I did the shortcut cleaning that one gets reminded to do in
windows. Is there a way that i can have my desktop completely blank of
icons?
From: Keith Nuttle on
On 7/12/2010 12:35 PM, noel888 wrote:
> I have quite a few, maybe 30 icons that always appear on my desktop
> whenever I boot up. Now, I know that some get loaded up each time I
> start the computer, so i uncheck the boxes in the msconfig/start
> routine. Most of them do not even appear in the startup of msconfig.
> I thought by renaming desktop folder to shortcuts, they would not
> appear in the desktop. After doing that, i reboot and the desktop info
> still appears. BTW, some of those icons, in fact most of them are text
> files. I did the shortcut cleaning that one gets reminded to do in
> windows. Is there a way that i can have my desktop completely blank of
> icons?

I like to use my photos for my wallpaper, and don't like it cluttered up
with a bunch of icon.

To clean up my desktop, I placed all shortcuts into subdirectories.
Once I had them all off of the desktop I moved them to the My Documents
folder. I then placed the short cuts into the Quick Launch tool bar for
each subdirectory I access frequently, for the other I access the
subdirectory in My Documents

After that was done, I removed the IE browser, My Desktop, and My
Network from the desktop. I placed a shortcut to the main disk and My
Documents in the Quick launch toolbar.

When I want a program I click the program short cut in the Quick launch
toolbar, and that subdirectory is open with all of the programs I use.
Same for the shortcut icon for My Documents. For the programs I use
frequently I place their icons directly in the Quick Launch tool bar.

Net results I have two icon on my desk top and access the rest of my
hard drives and program from the Quick launch toolbar.

From: Jim on
On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 09:35:42 -0700 (PDT), noel888 <harri85274(a)aol.com>
wrote:

>I have quite a few, maybe 30 icons that always appear on my desktop
>whenever I boot up. Now, I know that some get loaded up each time I
>start the computer, so i uncheck the boxes in the msconfig/start
>routine. Most of them do not even appear in the startup of msconfig.
>I thought by renaming desktop folder to shortcuts, they would not
>appear in the desktop. After doing that, i reboot and the desktop info
>still appears. BTW, some of those icons, in fact most of them are text
>files. I did the shortcut cleaning that one gets reminded to do in
>windows. Is there a way that i can have my desktop completely blank of
>icons?
Docs and settings\ name \ desktop - delete any/all you want . ( right
click , delete ) .