From: M.L. on

I recently tried Live CDs for YLMF Linux, Puppy Linux and UBCD4Win on
my Vista Home Premium laptop. My folder security properties are the
same for all hard drives. My drive configurations are as follows:

Internal HD 1, C: & D: partitions
External HD 2, J:, K: & L: partitions
External 4 GB Flash drive
Internal CD/DVD drive

Puppy Linux 4.3.1: Can fully browse all 7 drives/partitions.

YLMF Linux 1.0: Can fully browse only D: drive on HD 1. Can use WINE
to browse only C:\Program Files\Common Files and a few files and
folders in C:\Windows. Cannot browse CD/DVD drive. Can fully browse
all other drives.

UBCD4Win 3.5: Creates a RAM drive and X: drive. Cannot see C: drive.
Can fully browse all other drives.

Am I missing some type of configuration that would allow me to browse
all my drives and partitions with YLMF and UBCD4Win? Thanks.
From: The Natural Philosopher on
M.L. wrote:
> I recently tried Live CDs for YLMF Linux, Puppy Linux and UBCD4Win on
> my Vista Home Premium laptop. My folder security properties are the
> same for all hard drives. My drive configurations are as follows:
>
> Internal HD 1, C: & D: partitions
> External HD 2, J:, K: & L: partitions
> External 4 GB Flash drive
> Internal CD/DVD drive
>
> Puppy Linux 4.3.1: Can fully browse all 7 drives/partitions.
>
> YLMF Linux 1.0: Can fully browse only D: drive on HD 1. Can use WINE
> to browse only C:\Program Files\Common Files and a few files and
> folders in C:\Windows. Cannot browse CD/DVD drive. Can fully browse
> all other drives.
>
> UBCD4Win 3.5: Creates a RAM drive and X: drive. Cannot see C: drive.
> Can fully browse all other drives.
>
> Am I missing some type of configuration that would allow me to browse
> all my drives and partitions with YLMF and UBCD4Win? Thanks.

I would say that is likely, yes.
;-)
From: David W. Hodgins on
On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 17:06:11 -0400, M.L. <me(a)privacy.invalid> wrote:

> Am I missing some type of configuration that would allow me to browse
> all my drives and partitions with YLMF and UBCD4Win? Thanks.

The distribution has to have the appropriate kernel modules available
and loaded. Some distros will do this automatically, some won't,
some can't, because those modules are not provided (too old a kernel
version, for example).

Keep in mind, that what you/windows call a drive, is properly
called a partition, which then contains a filesystem.

In order to access the drive, the appropriate controller module
must be loaded, This will be a sata, or ide module, for the
internal drive controller, and the usb_storage module for
drives (hard or flash) accessed by the usb controller.

As root, try running ...
modprobe usb_storage

Once the system can access the drive, it needs the appropriate
modules for the filesystems stored in the partitions.

For fat, and vfat, those modules must be loaded, along with
the appropriate codepage modules. Try running the modprobe
command, for each of the following kernel modules

fat
vfat
nls_cp437
nls_cp850
nls_iso8859_1
nls_iso8859_15

To be able to mount an iso filesystem on the cd/dvd, the
following module must be loaded ...
isofs

There are three different ways to access ntfs filesystems,
depending on the age of the kernel, and the customizations
built in to the distribution. M$ kept changing the ntfs
filesystem, without releasing any documentation, so reverse
engineering it took a while

The original way provided read only access to the ntfs
filesystems, using the kernel module called ntfs.
That should still be supported by most distributions.

At one time, there was a fuse ntfs system, where you
used the ntfs module to read the filesystem, copied
the appropriate dll file from the ntfs system to
the appropriate place in the linux system, and then
re-mounted the filesystem using the fuse ntfs system,
to provide full write support.

More recently, there's another fuse system called
ntfs-3g, which is native linux, and provides write
support for ntfs.

Try loading the fuse module (aka run "modprobe fuse").

Once the module has been loaded, the filesystem still
has to be mounted, before you can access it. Do you
need help with the mount command, and/or fstab entries
to use?

I'd suggest sticking with a modern distribution that
takes care of all of this, for you.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

From: Hans-Peter Diettrich on
David W. Hodgins schrieb:

> Keep in mind, that what you/windows call a drive, is properly
> called a partition, which then contains a filesystem.
>
> In order to access the drive, the appropriate controller module
> must be loaded, This will be a sata, or ide module, for the
> internal drive controller, and the usb_storage module for
> drives (hard or flash) accessed by the usb controller.

Your view is a bit inconsistent. Physical drives require an according
driver, independent from their contained partitions and file systems.
Mountable file systems are not limited to a single partition, they can
span multiple partitions or even physical drives. I dunno about Linux
terminology, but from the user's VP the Windows distinction between
physical and logical drives makes more sense. The partition term
includes unmountable (e.g. extended) partitions, and should be
understood only as a subdivision of an single physical drive, regardless
of the ability to mount a partition as a filesystem.

DoDi
From: David W. Hodgins on
On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 07:48:39 -0400, Hans-Peter Diettrich <DrDiettrich1(a)aol.com> wrote:

> Your view is a bit inconsistent. Physical drives require an according
> driver, independent from their contained partitions and file systems.
> Mountable file systems are not limited to a single partition, they can
> span multiple partitions or even physical drives. I dunno about Linux
> terminology, but from the user's VP the Windows distinction between
> physical and logical drives makes more sense. The partition term
> includes unmountable (e.g. extended) partitions, and should be
> understood only as a subdivision of an single physical drive, regardless
> of the ability to mount a partition as a filesystem.

True. I have filesystems on lvm physical volumes, that are
spread over multiple partitions on different drives, as well as
encrypted filesystems mounted on device mapper entries. There is
a trade off between simplifying things to cover cases the op is
likely to be working with, and covering all possible cases.

Perhaps I simplified things a little too much this time.

I still believe m$'s use of the term drive, to represent what
linux calls a filesystem, to be a source of confusion, since
a hard drive may contain multiple filesystems, or parts of them.

Regards, Dave Hodgins