From: Artist on
I had intended to run X apps on my VPS account remotely. The VPS account
is to be used as a web server that has the potential for a lot of
traffic. The apps I intended to run on the VPS are Synaptic and
Firestarter to help manage the web server. I have become concerned about
resource usage if I do this. The VPS account has a Debian Lenny OS
running as a guest of XenServer with 512 MB allocated. My concern is
that if I connect to the VPS from my local computer using an SSH program
such as PuTTy, and run an X11 app on the VPS, would the performance of
the websites on the VPS be negatively affected due to the memory and cpu
usage required to run a video display?

--
If you desire to respond directly remove the "sj." from the domain name
part of my email address. It is a spam jammer.
From: John Hasler on
Artist writes:
> ...would the performance of the websites on the VPS be negatively
> affected due to the memory and cpu usage required to run a video
> display?

No, because the remote machine will not be running a video display.
Your local machine will, and the X server running on it will serve it to
the clients (Synaptic et al) on the remote machine.

However, you may see some impact on bandwidth. I suggest you learn to
use text mode programs such as Aptitude. Running X clients on a server
is never desireable and rarely necessary.
--
John Hasler
jhasler(a)newsguy.com
From: Artist on
John Hasler wrote:
> However, you may see some impact on bandwidth. I suggest you learn to
> use text mode programs such as Aptitude. Running X clients on a server
> is never desireable and rarely necessary.

To display the GUI of the remotely run application on the local computer
would there be greater bandwidth usage than if an equivalent GUI were
served by a web server and displayed in web browser such as Firefox?

--
To reply directly remove the sj. from my email address. This is a spam
jammer.
From: The Natural Philosopher on
Artist wrote:
> John Hasler wrote:
>> However, you may see some impact on bandwidth. I suggest you learn to
>> use text mode programs such as Aptitude. Running X clients on a server
>> is never desireable and rarely necessary.
>
> To display the GUI of the remotely run application on the local computer
> would there be greater bandwidth usage than if an equivalent GUI were
> served by a web server and displayed in web browser such as Firefox?

Hard call. I'd say probably yes, because X-window primitives are more
primitive than Browser primitives...

And people writing web apps do so in the expectation of WAN usage.

And HTML supports compression..not sure if X windows does.

Which is not the case if you use something like a GTK toolkit

I regularly do a bit of messing around using webmin over a 400Kbps link.
Its more than good enough. I wrote a web app that does just fine over
the same link.

My memories of remote x-desktops over a 10Mbps Ethernet LAN some years
back, were that it wasn't as good. But that night have been CPU power.
From: Artist on
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
> Artist wrote:
>> John Hasler wrote:
>>> However, you may see some impact on bandwidth. I suggest you learn to
>>> use text mode programs such as Aptitude. Running X clients on a server
>>> is never desireable and rarely necessary.
>>
>> To display the GUI of the remotely run application on the local
>> computer would there be greater bandwidth usage than if an equivalent
>> GUI were served by a web server and displayed in web browser such as
>> Firefox?
>>
> Hard call. I'd say probably yes, because X-window primitives are more
> primitive than Browser primitives...
>
> And people writing web apps do so in the expectation of WAN usage.
>
> And HTML supports compression..not sure if X windows does.
>
> Which is not the case if you use something like a GTK toolkit
>
> I regularly do a bit of messing around using webmin over a 400Kbps link.
> Its more than good enough. I wrote a web app that does just fine over
> the same link.
>
> My memories of remote x-desktops over a 10Mbps Ethernet LAN some years
> back, were that it wasn't as good. But that night have been CPU power.

Then is the bandwidth issue that John Hasler raised more that of
performance of the GUI on the local computer than enough bandwidth
demanded of the server by the application that the performance of the
websites are affected?

It appears compression is possible:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NX_technology