From: Nico Kadel-Garcia on
On Mar 25, 12:24 pm, Artist <Art...(a)sj.speakeasy.net> wrote:
> I had intended to run X apps on my VPS account remotely. The VPS account
> is to be used as a web server that has the potential for a lot of
> traffic. The apps I intended to run on the VPS are Synaptic and
> Firestarter to help manage the web server. I have become concerned about
> resource usage if I do this. The VPS account has a Debian Lenny OS
> running as a guest of XenServer with 512 MB allocated. My concern is
> that if I connect to the VPS from my local computer using an SSH program
> such as PuTTy, and run an X11 app on the VPS, would the performance of
> the websites on the VPS be negatively affected due to the memory and cpu
> usage required to run a video display?

Back up here. X apps are resource intensive, period. It doesn't matter
much whether the X app is displayed on the server, or whether they are
displayed on your client machine, the associated libraries are large
and *something* has to do a lot of extra work from the machine hosting
the X application, no matter where the display winds up. This is why
text GUI's are so much lighter weight and, in skilled hands and with
wellbuilt GUI's, so much faster. But many text GUI's these days
frankly suck or exist only as limited afterthoughts, so you need the X
GUI.

That said, the bandwidth and performance of a bare X session over SSH
is often poor compared to an optimized remote protocol like VNC. The X
"server" residing on the remote host, and the fascinating fun and
games being compressed and optimized can lead to a very significant
performance improvement.

And oh, for someone new to these issues: the machine doing the display
is the X "server". This is backwards from what most other systems
think of as the "server" and the "client", and the focus on the
"server" being so powerful is part of why X has very serious
performance issues, and always has.

If you can do your work instead over an HTTP/HTTPS interface, do so.
Webmin is a good model of how such administrative tasks can be done
well across a broad variety of platforms.
From: Artist on
Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

> If you can do your work instead over an HTTP/HTTPS interface, do so.
> Webmin is a good model of how such administrative tasks can be done
> well across a broad variety of platforms.

Does that include such administrative tasks as installing and removing
packages and managing a firewall?

--
If you desire to respond directly remove the "sj." from the domain name
part of my email address. It is a spam jammer.
From: Artist on
Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

> That said, the bandwidth and performance of a bare X session over SSH
> is often poor compared to an optimized remote protocol like VNC. The X
> "server" residing on the remote host, and the fascinating fun and
> games being compressed and optimized can lead to a very significant
> performance improvement.

Does an application have to be built to use VNC? Or can any application
built for X11 also use VNC?

From: Artist on
Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

> Back up here. X apps are resource intensive, period.

Whether it is X11 or VNC, is it necessary that on my VPS account I have
Gnome running so that an entire desktop is remotely viewed? Or can the
X11 or VNC display only the remotely run application's window on my
local computer?

From: The Natural Philosopher on
Artist wrote:
> Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>
>> If you can do your work instead over an HTTP/HTTPS interface, do so.
>> Webmin is a good model of how such administrative tasks can be done
>> well across a broad variety of platforms.
>
> Does that include such administrative tasks as installing and removing
> packages and managing a firewall?

It certainly can manage IP tables.

I've never used it to upgrade though. I suspect it can.