From: tim1948 on
Things don't look too good:

$pkg_delete -rf pkg-config\*

Then it says things like:

pkg_delete: corrupted record (pkgdep line without argument), ignoring
/usr/local/sjare/mime/application/x-vnc.xml fails MD5 checksum,
removing anyhow
pkg_delete: corrupted record (pkgdep line without argument), ignoring
pkg_delete: corrupted record (pkgdep line without argument), ignoring

Anyhow, I get the impression that it's borked.
From: Bob Eager on
On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 11:25:27 -0700, tim1948 wrote:

> Things don't look too good:
>
> $pkg_delete -rf pkg-config\*
>
> Then it says things like:
>
> pkg_delete: corrupted record (pkgdep line without argument), ignoring
> /usr/local/sjare/mime/application/x-vnc.xml fails MD5 checksum, removing
> anyhow
> pkg_delete: corrupted record (pkgdep line without argument), ignoring
> pkg_delete: corrupted record (pkgdep line without argument), ignoring
>
> Anyhow, I get the impression that it's borked.

pkgdb -Fa

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

From: Chris on
On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 13:25:27 -0500, tim1948 <iconoklastic(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> Things don't look too good:
>
> $pkg_delete -rf pkg-config\*
>
> Then it says things like:
>
> pkg_delete: corrupted record (pkgdep line without argument), ignoring
> /usr/local/sjare/mime/application/x-vnc.xml fails MD5 checksum,
> removing anyhow
> pkg_delete: corrupted record (pkgdep line without argument), ignoring
> pkg_delete: corrupted record (pkgdep line without argument), ignoring
>
> Anyhow, I get the impression that it's borked.

Think the correct answer to this is:
install portupgrade then
pkgdb -Fa

From: Andrew Reilly on
[re: portupgrade reference: also try ports_mgmt/portmaster. Doesn't do
quite the same job as portupgrade, but also doesn't rely on having ruby
installed. For a while I used portupgrade, and got into so many knots
with recursive attempts to upgrade ruby (which is or was a fairly rapidly
moving target itself) that I felt I had to move. Portmaster works pretty
well.]

On Mon, 24 May 2010 17:52:54 +0000, Robert Kopp wrote:
> Thanks, I eventually got to that point. Samba 4 is essential for GNOME
> to work, and it conflicts with Samba 3, which I needed. First, however,
> I installed KDE (so that I would have a desktop after the removal of
> GNOME was complete). And now I like KDE.

I'm not convinced that the first statement here is necessarily correct.
Or, at least, "to work" needs to be read with some latitude. I've been
running a GNOME desktop for years, and am still. My current gnome is
current, at 2.30 or so, and yet I am managing without samba-4. (I have
samba-34 for other reasons: to serve disks to some windows machines.) On
the other hand, I *don't* use evolution as a mail client, and I recently
banished evolution-data-server from my systems, which, in turn, has
removed some "standard" functionality like the clock applet that is in by
default, and which can pull up an evolution-managed calendar...

I think that evolution only wants samba-4 in order to support it's MAPI/
exchange connector, and I think that it's also possible to thwart that,
if you don't need it.

Cheers,

--
Andrew