From: tim1948 on
After installing 8-Stable, i386, with Gnome, I discovered that I could
not enter anything into GDM, so I disabled it on behalf of .xinitrc.
Has anyone else noticed this problem with 8-Stable?
From: Warren Block on
Chronos <me3(a)privacy.net> wrote:
> tim1948 wrote:
>
>> After installing 8-Stable, i386, with Gnome, I discovered that I
>> could not enter anything into GDM, so I disabled it on behalf of
>> .xinitrc. Has anyone else noticed this problem with 8-Stable?
>
> Try adding these lines:
>
> Option "AllowEmptyInput" "False"

Please don't advise using AEI. It's outdated and was only ever used as
a bug fix. Using it now can cause problems.

> Option "AutoAddDevices" "False"
>
> to the ServerLayout section of your xorg.conf and try again.

That is the right way to run without hal and dbus, but it's not clear
whether that's the problem or whether the OP wants to do that. Better
just to look at the Handbook:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-config.html

From: Warren Block on
Chronos <me3(a)privacy.net> wrote:
> Warren Block wrote:
>
>> That is the right way to run without hal and dbus, but it's not
>> clear whether that's the problem or whether the OP wants to do that.
>
> Which is why I used the word "try" to determine if it made a
> difference. Never mind, I'll not suggest it again.

Sorry if I was rude, it wasn't intentional.

From: Indi on
On 2010-04-25, Chronos <me3(a)privacy.net> wrote:

> I'm just getting a little tired of this hald/xorg race condition that
> always rears its head when one tries to configure a graphical login
> manager from ttys. I've several different configurations of boxen here
> with either 8.0-R or -CURRENT on them and they all exhibit that
> annoyance if I don't use rc scripts and allow rcorder to deal with
> this, which is what I was going to suggest if the OP found that those
> lines in xorg.conf made a difference.

I've found that the slim display manager works perfectly out of the
box on 8.0-R. No need to fuss with *dm.

--
Caveat utilitor,
indi