From: Martin Johnson on
Is 'make installworld' safe in multi-user mode, if the only service
running is my SSH session? Or will something get corrupted when it
tries to update the running SSH binary + libs?

Thanks!

- Martin
From: Warren Block on
Martin Johnson <notformail(a)example.com> wrote:
> Is 'make installworld' safe in multi-user mode, if the only service
> running is my SSH session? Or will something get corrupted when it
> tries to update the running SSH binary + libs?

Can't say that it's guaranteed safe, just that I've been doing it that
way for years without problems.

From: Martin Johnson on
On 24/04/2010 19:43, Warren Block wrote:
> Martin Johnson <notformail(a)example.com> wrote:
>> Is 'make installworld' safe in multi-user mode, if the only service
>> running is my SSH session? Or will something get corrupted when it
>> tries to update the running SSH binary + libs?
>
> Can't say that it's guaranteed safe, just that I've been doing it that
> way for years without problems.

Thanks! That's useful to know.

- Martin

From: Ahem A Rivet's Shot on
On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 14:37:00 +0100
Martin Johnson <notformail(a)example.com> wrote:

> Is 'make installworld' safe in multi-user mode, if the only service
> running is my SSH session? Or will something get corrupted when it
> tries to update the running SSH binary + libs?

Certainly nothing will get corrupted the open filehandle will
ensure that running programs see the old versions and only new opens will
see the new files. For this reason you will want to reboot afterwards (or at
least drop to single user and back) in order to ensure that no old code is
running.

I am curious as to why you would want to installworld multi-user
given that after updating sources it is potentially necessary to install the
new kernel before attempting to run the new world so there is a natural
point to pause in single user mode to run installworld.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith | Directable Mirror Arrays
C:>WIN | A better way to focus the sun
From: patpro ~ Patrick Proniewski on
In article <20100426075439.6cb08b73.steveo(a)eircom.net>,
Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo(a)eircom.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 14:37:00 +0100
> Martin Johnson <notformail(a)example.com> wrote:
>
> > Is 'make installworld' safe in multi-user mode, if the only service
> > running is my SSH session? Or will something get corrupted when it
> > tries to update the running SSH binary + libs?
>
> Certainly nothing will get corrupted the open filehandle will
> ensure that running programs see the old versions and only new opens will
> see the new files. For this reason you will want to reboot afterwards (or at
> least drop to single user and back) in order to ensure that no old code is
> running.
>
> I am curious as to why you would want to installworld multi-user
> given that after updating sources it is potentially necessary to install the
> new kernel before attempting to run the new world so there is a natural
> point to pause in single user mode to run installworld.

I won't reply for Martin, but in my case the reason is: remote
make/build/install.
I'm not sure you can SSH to a FreeBSD box that is booted in single
user...

patpro

--
A vendre ! http://www.patpro.net/blog/index.php/2008/01/12/133
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: GDM anomaly
Next: encrypted filesystems under FreeBSD