From: Helmut Schneider on
patpro ~ Patrick Proniewski wrote:

> In article <20100426075439.6cb08b73.steveo(a)eircom.net>,
> Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo(a)eircom.net> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 14:37:00 +0100
> > Martin Johnson <notformail(a)example.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Is 'make installworld' safe in multi-user mode, if the only
> > > service running is my SSH session? Or will something get
> > > corrupted when it tries to update the running SSH binary + libs?
> >
> > Certainly nothing will get corrupted the open filehandle will
> > ensure that running programs see the old versions and only new
> > opens will see the new files. For this reason you will want to
> > reboot afterwards (or at least drop to single user and back) in
> > order to ensure that no old code is running.
> >
> > I am curious as to why you would want to installworld multi-user
> > given that after updating sources it is potentially necessary to
> > install the new kernel before attempting to run the new world so
> > there is a natural point to pause in single user mode to run
> > installworld.
>

> I won't reply for Martin, but in my case the reason is: remote
> make/build/install.

Me too.

> I'm not sure you can SSH to a FreeBSD box that is booted in single
> user...

You can if you find someone who starts network and sshd from console. :)

--
No Swen today, my love has gone away
My mailbox stands for lorn, a symbol of the dawn
From: Ahem A Rivet's Shot on
On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 12:32:46 +0200
patpro ~ Patrick Proniewski <patpro(a)boleskine.patpro.net> wrote:

> In article <20100426075439.6cb08b73.steveo(a)eircom.net>,
> Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo(a)eircom.net> wrote:
>
> > I am curious as to why you would want to installworld multi-user
> > given that after updating sources it is potentially necessary to
> > install the new kernel before attempting to run the new world so there
> > is a natural point to pause in single user mode to run installworld.
>

> I won't reply for Martin, but in my case the reason is: remote
> make/build/install.

A scary operation at the best of times - so it's

make buildworld kernel
rebootn - and pray
make installworld
reboot - and pray

What do you do if the box doesn't come up ?

> I'm not sure you can SSH to a FreeBSD box that is booted in single
> user...

No you can't - the good solution is to have the box set up with a
serial console and connect the serial port to another machine which you ssh
into and then use cu (or tip or somesuch) to gt console access to the
machine to be updated.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith | Directable Mirror Arrays
C:>WIN | A better way to focus the sun
From: patpro ~ Patrick Proniewski on
In article <20100426155826.6967c2e6.steveo(a)eircom.net>,
Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo(a)eircom.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 12:32:46 +0200
> patpro ~ Patrick Proniewski <patpro(a)boleskine.patpro.net> wrote:
>
> > In article <20100426075439.6cb08b73.steveo(a)eircom.net>,
> > Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo(a)eircom.net> wrote:
> >
> > > I am curious as to why you would want to installworld multi-user
> > > given that after updating sources it is potentially necessary to
> > > install the new kernel before attempting to run the new world so there
> > > is a natural point to pause in single user mode to run installworld.
> >

> > I won't reply for Martin, but in my case the reason is: remote
> > make/build/install.
>
> A scary operation at the best of times - so it's
>
> make buildworld kernel
> rebootn - and pray
> make installworld
> reboot - and pray
>
> What do you do if the box doesn't come up ?

It does. At least, for years now, it's working perfectly. But I have to
admit: it's not comfortable at all. In fact, I'm really scared each time.

And if it does not come up, I buy a train ticket, and lose at least a
day to reach my server, fix it, go back home.

Next purchase: a server supporting IPMI.

patpro

--
A vendre ! http://www.patpro.net/blog/index.php/2008/01/12/133
From: Patrick Lamaizière on
Martin Johnson :

> Is 'make installworld' safe in multi-user mode, if the only service
> running is my SSH session? Or will something get corrupted when it
> tries to update the running SSH binary + libs?

If you stay in the same branch that should not be a problem. It could be
harder when upgrading. Of course it is better to have a rescue system.

make buildworld / make buildkernel / make installkernel / make
installworld / mergemaster. Without any reboot and via ssh.

The only time I encountered problem was because the internet connection
was dropped and installworld was killed. I use screen or tmux to avoid
this now.

From: Martin Johnson on
On 26/04/2010 07:54, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 14:37:00 +0100
> Martin Johnson <notformail(a)example.com> wrote:
>
>> Is 'make installworld' safe in multi-user mode, if the only service
>> running is my SSH session? Or will something get corrupted when it
>> tries to update the running SSH binary + libs?
>
> Certainly nothing will get corrupted the open filehandle will
> ensure that running programs see the old versions and only new opens will
> see the new files. For this reason you will want to reboot afterwards (or at
> least drop to single user and back) in order to ensure that no old code is
> running.
>
> I am curious as to why you would want to installworld multi-user
> given that after updating sources it is potentially necessary to install the
> new kernel before attempting to run the new world so there is a natural
> point to pause in single user mode to run installworld.

I was wondering about renting a dedicated server from
http://www.kimsufi.co.uk/ks/
since they seem to be offering dedicated boxes for the price of virtual
boxes elsewhere.

Kimsufi's prices seem pretty low, and they support FreeBSD 8.0.
Unfortunately however, a remote serial console isn't offered, and an IP
KVM would double the cost of their Q-1T box.

Kimsufi's core offering includes a rescue mode called vKVM. This would
probably suffice in emergencies but isn't ideal - so it would be best to
avoid single user mode if possible, and of course to keep backups in
case it all went pear shaped.

- Martin
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: GDM anomaly
Next: encrypted filesystems under FreeBSD