From: Frédéric Perrin on
Hello,

For sometime now, I've been using encfs (a FUSE module) to manage my
encrypted files. It works on both Linux and FreeBSD rather well.

However, it happened twice in recent times that encfs was killed on an
assert[1]. Those crashes were the first ones after a long usage, and I
couldn't reproduce it since. This means that I now am a bit less
comfortable about trusting encfs with my data... What is the
experience of other people with encfs on FreeBSD ?

Alternatively, can you suggest an encryption framework that would work
under both Linux and FreeBSD ? Being easily rsync'able would be a
plus, but I can live without that. Necessiting root access for usage
is not a big issue. The "classical" ones (whole disk encryption) work
on Linux xor FreeBSD, but never both, according to Wikipedia.

[1] For the record, the assert is: « encfs: assert failed: it !=
openFiles.end() », and there is a note in dmesg about encfs being
killed with signal 6 (SIGABRT).

--
Fred