From: Frédéric Perrin on
Martin Johnson <notformail(a)example.com> writes:
> Kimsufi's prices seem pretty low, and they support FreeBSD 8.0.
> Unfortunately however, a remote serial console isn't offered, and an
> IP KVM would double the cost of their Q-1T box.
>
> Kimsufi's core offering includes a rescue mode called vKVM. This
> would probably suffice in emergencies but isn't ideal - so it would
> be best to avoid single user mode if possible, and of course to keep
> backups in case it all went pear shaped.

Speaking from experience... their rescue mode is either a Java applet
in your browser that looked like a Qemu instance, or a regular SSH
session that booted over the network. I guess (never tried that) you
can mount your local disks and jail yourself in the "real" system to
upgrade your kernel. I know that I managed to rescue my own server
after screwing up --but that was only correcting a mistake in a /etc
file. If you can read French : <http://guides.ovh.com/ModeRescue>.

--
Fred
First  |  Prev  |